Default Transmission fluid level

I looked all over the forum for an answer but couldn't seem to find one that fit specifically for my case. I just got the boat ready for the season, which of course is oil change, impeller, and transmission fluid. I took the transmission fluid out and put it in a milk jug, it seems to be about 2 quarts which is what is recommended in the manual. It looked low when I would check it last season.

I put 2 full quarts back in sense that is what it calls for. I checked the fluid multiple times and it always read high. Do you think I put too much fluid? didn't take enough out? or do you think it hasn't settled yet? thanks!

You will never get out the amount listed in the capacity chart. I always add and check multiple times with the 2nd quart and leave it below the full mark as you should check level with the engine warm.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by VA LSV View Post
    You will never get out the amount listed in the capacity chart. I always add and check multiple times with the 2nd quart and leave it below the full mark as you should check level with the engine warm.
    This is from the Supra Forum - may apply as I do not know what transmission you have.

Here is the correct procedure for checking transmission fluid in the shifting portion of your v-drive or in an in-line transmission. It applies to Indmar V-drive, Velvet-Drive and ZF transmissions. It is best done with the boat in the water

Start the engine and let it come up to operating temperature.

Shift the engine to forward then to neutral then to reverse and back to neutral. Shut the engine off.

Within 30 seconds of engine shutdown, remove the dipstick from the transmission, wipe it clean and place the dipstick in the transmission but don't thread it in. Remove the dipstick and check the fluid level. The level should be between the two marks on the dipstick.

Adjust the fluid level as needed.

Note: Once you have established the appropriate fluid level, it may be beneficial to let the transmission cool down, preferably overnight so all of the fluid can drain back from the cooler and transmission hoses. Pull the dipstick and wipe it off. Reinstall the dipstick but don't thread it in. Remove the dipstick and mark a new "full cold" level on the dipstick so in the future you can check the fluid level without running the engine. Note that the full cold level may be above the original full mark on the dipstick, depending on the transmission cooler location and how much fluid is able to drain back.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines

that's good info, thanks for sharing it. I was never sure if you should screw the cap back in or rest it on top to get the level.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Larry always delivers the good stuff.
    2018 Supra SL400