Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Isaguel View Post
    Anyone know what the tongue weight is for the supra SL?
    Pretty sure Boatmate designs all of their trailers to be 10% tongue weight.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Default The 2020 Supra SE550 is a heavy girl!

Puts it around 720# and your 2018 F150 factory hitch is only rated for 500# tongue and 5000# trailer weight and you are over 7000#

I had to upgrade my 2018 F150 hitch to tow my SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 06-16-2020 at 06:02 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Puts it around 720# and your 2018 F150 factory hitch is only rated for 500# tongue and 5000# trailer weight and you are over 7000#

I had to upgrade my 2018 F150 hitch to tow my SA.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that ASAP. Did'nt occur to me the hitch itself was rated separate from truck from the factory. The truck itself has the max tow package rated for 13k# towing capacity and 3500# load on bed. Dangit, that's another chunk of change in upgrade!

Can u give me some info on your trailer hitch upgrade, brand, where purchased?
    Last edited by Isaguel; 06-16-2020 at 08:11 AM.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that ASAP. Did'nt occur to me the hitch itself was rated separate from truck from the factory. The truck itself has the max tow package rated for 13k# towing capacity and 3500# load on bed. Dangit, that's another chunk of change in upgrade!

Can u give me some info on your trailer hitch upgrade, brand, where purchased?
    This is what I am using.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201833000

Easy install, only issue is you have a double hitch as this fits around the factory hitch. I put a hitch plug in the factory one and you can hardly tell, I do get the “why do you have two hitches” question once in awhile.

I use a 2” drop draw bar upside down to lift ball position to get trailer between 0 to -1 degrees.

I was between 2” or 3” drop flipped upside down. Either would work.

The factory hitch is part of the rear bumper support.

Other option is this hitch, you would have to order the Ford bumper support without the factory hitch option and swap them first, then use this hitch OR cut off the hitch receiver box of your factory hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201833001

Moombas are light enough and right at the limit to get away with factory hitch, but Supras exceed the factory hitch by nearly 50%.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 06-16-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Or buy a 3/4 ton...

An F250 in black or white would match up nicely with the new SL...just saying.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Prospersigman View Post
    Or buy a 3/4 ton...

An F250 in black or white would match up nicely with the new SL...just saying.
    No doubt a 3/4 ton is the right tool for the job. But a 3/4 ton sucks as a daily driver.

A $200 hitch upgrade works for the 1000 miles I tow a year and let’s me enjoy the better ride quality and performance of an F150 for 14000 non towing miles per year.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 06-16-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Anyone know what the tongue weight is for the supra SL?
    I put my 2020 SL on a CAT scale the day I picked it up from the dealership. It was 560 pounds on the tongue and 6600 pounds on the axles (7160 total). That was with batteries, 1 set of tower speakers, dual axle 18" wheels with a side-mounted spare, no front boarding ladder, only a little bit of gas, and some basic gear the dealer provided. After adding all my gear, a full tank of gas, 500 pounds of lead towards the back, and a few times out on the lake filling and emptying ballast I re-weighed at the CAT scale and tongue weight increased to 660 pounds. I made sure to empty the bilge but didn't remove the drain plugs for this measurement. I'm sure the ballast had some residual water them too.
    Last edited by mmmkay; 06-16-2020 at 02:54 PM.

This Kind'a pisses me off. When I bought the truck, it was equipped with the max tow package, and the claim was towing upto 13k lbs. Neither the dealer nor any paperwork that is conspicuous in the manual said anything about needing to upgrade the hitch. If it is sold as set with that towing capacity, then it should be, from the drivetrain, frame all the way to the hitch components. I looked under the hitch and saw the label on the hitch. I wonder how many people buy this truck with that thought and are towing 8-10 K lbs thinking they are safe. I see a class action. Any lawyers here? J/K.
    But seriously, this is BS>
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by mmmkay View Post
    I put my 2020 SL on a CAT scale the day I picked it up from the dealership. It was 560 pounds on the tongue and 6600 pounds on the axles (7160 total). That was with batteries, 1 set of tower speakers, dual axle 18" wheels with a side-mounted spare, no front boarding ladder, only a little bit of gas, and some basic gear the dealer provided. After adding all my gear, a full tank of gas, 500 pounds of lead towards the back, and a few times out on the lake filling and emptying ballast I re-weighed at the CAT scale and tongue weight increased to 660 pounds. I made sure to empty the bilge but didn't remove the drain plugs for this measurement. I'm sure the ballast had some residual water them too.
    How high does top of the trailer sit at the contact point of the ball?

I need to weight my SL setup.

Glad I had a bigger truck at the ramp I was using last weekend at Norris. Steep and had some gravel on it.

Had thoughts of killing my 1500 Chevy as I tried to pull that tub out that night - 8 people sitting in there, lead, 1/2 tank gas, etc

2018 Supra SL400

This Kind'a pisses me off. When I bought the truck, it was equipped with the max tow package, and the claim was towing upto 13k lbs. Neither the dealer nor any paperwork that is conspicuous in the manual said anything about needing to upgrade the hitch. If it is sold as set with that towing capacity, then it should be, from the drivetrain, frame all the way to the hitch components. I looked under the hitch and saw the label on the hitch. I wonder how many people buy this truck with that thought and are towing 8-10 K lbs thinking they are safe. I see a class action. Any lawyers here? J/K.
    But seriously, this is BS>
    Amen brother, exact feelings and concerns on my F150.

It’s actually alarming to have a 500# tongue and 5000# max trailer hitch on a truck rated to tow 12k+.

However, truck owner is responsible for what they attach, how they attach and what equipment they use.

You are only as good as the weakest link. Ball, drawbar, hitch pin, hitch etc.

Moombas are right at the limit, But Supras are well over the limit. Wakeboats present a unique problem that clearly is not on Ford’s radar. The factory hitch can handle more IF using weight distribution gear, but wakeboats obviously can’t do that as WD does not allow for backing up a trailer.

Liability is on you, if your hitch fails due to knowingly or unknowingly overloading it, you own the failure. I highly doubt insurance will cover that failure and loss and I certainly am not going to risk a 6 figure loss or the chance of hurting/killing someone when I can cure it with a $200 hitch upgrade and 30 min of time to install.

I broached this topic with my Ford Dealer, they are absolutely clueless and said “ahhh you are fine, we pull big boats all the time”, F that, in case of failure, your dealer won’t come near backing you up, nor will they put it in writing.

Overloaded factory hitch works fine until it doesn’t, might last 1000 miles, 5000 miles or 100 miles, it’s rated for a reason, go over it and it will fail eventually. I am a mechanical engineer by degree/profession and understand failure modes and factor of safety.

Even 2020 F150’s still are 500/5000 hitch. Max tow package included.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan