Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Wait, what? An F-150 rated to tow 13,000 pounds has a hitch rated at 5,000? How can this possibly be? I have an expedition max with the heavy duty trailer tow package. I'm guessing I'll have the same issue. I'm stunned.
    2020 Supra SE 450

Not sure why you think an F250 sucks as a daily? I have had 5 F150s from the 4.6L, 5.0L and the Eco-boost variety and I have had 3 F250s...I'll take the F250s over the F150s all day from a towing standpoint and a daily driver standpoint. I get better mpg from my diesel than I ever did from my F150s both towing and commuting in DFW traffic.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Prospersigman View Post
    Not sure why you think an F250 sucks as a daily? I have had 5 F150s from the 4.6L, 5.0L and the Eco-boost variety and I have had 3 F250s...I'll take the F250s over the F150s all day from a towing standpoint and a daily driver standpoint. I get better mpg from my diesel than I ever did from my F150s both towing and commuting in DFW traffic.
    Maybe I am old and crotchety, but no matter GM, Ford and Ram the 3/4 tons are too stiff when unloaded as a daily, rough ride.

I am not a diesel fan, they stink, suck to start in the cold, messy to fill, need DEF, need to be plugged in etc.

Totally get the love of them, they look badass, tons of torque, massive power mod potential etc.

I looked at an 18 250, maybe I didn’t get “used to it”, but diesel 3/4 ton is not for everyone daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Default The 2020 Supra SE550 is a heavy girl!

Quote Originally Posted by tre View Post
    Wait, what? An F-150 rated to tow 13,000 pounds has a hitch rated at 5,000? How can this possibly be? I have an expedition max with the heavy duty trailer tow package. I'm guessing I'll have the same issue. I'm stunned.
    I was shocked too, Don’t think Ram and GM weren’t guilty also, 1/2 ton towing is VERY misleading marketing and you owe it to yourself to fully understand. I mean you made sure your drawbar and ball were rated for your boat right? Why wouldn’t you check the hitch tag?

I am just as shocked that toy owners, whether boats, travel trailers, toy haulers, etc don’t fully understand the hitch equipment they run. Putting blind faith in an OEM, travel trailer dealer, car dealer, boat dealer etc is foolish.

You expedition has the same problem.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    How high does top of the trailer sit at the contact point of the ball?

I need to weight my SL setup.

Glad I had a bigger truck at the ramp I was using last weekend at Norris. Steep and had some gravel on it.

Had thoughts of killing my 1500 Chevy as I tried to pull that tub out that night - 8 people sitting in there, lead, 1/2 tank gas, etc

I have measured it because I wanted to make sure I was towing level but I can't remember exactly what it was. I think it was about 20" to the bottom of the trailer frame. I ended up getting a new ball-mount with more rise so that I would be within 1" of level. Those tongue weights were taken with the new ball-mount that tows level.

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I was shocked too, Don’t think Ram and GM weren’t guilty also, 1/2 ton towing is VERY misleading marketing and you owe it to yourself to fully understand. I mean you made sure your drawbar and ball were rated for your boat right? Why wouldn’t you check the hitch tag?

I am just as shocked that toy owners, whether boats, travel trailers, toy haulers, etc don’t fully understand the hitch equipment they run. Putting blind faith in an OEM, travel trailer dealer, car dealer, boat dealer etc is foolish.

You expedition has the same problem.
    a topic that has been beat to death on here.
    our '99 f250 with the factory tow pack is only 5k so ford has been this way for over 20 years. if there was a real big issue it would have manifested itself in class action years ago. you mention GM but our '16 silverado 1500 has the right hitch from the factory. we have the z71 with tow pack and it came with a hitch rated to tow these boats. not saying GM is all right but our truck from factory came with the right hitch.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by mmmkay View Post
    I have measured it because I wanted to make sure I was towing level but I can't remember exactly what it was. I think it was about 20" to the bottom of the trailer frame. I ended up getting a new ball-mount with more rise so that I would be within 1" of level. Those tongue weights were taken with the new ball-mount that tows level.
    That's what I was wondering. I think I'm at 22-24" by the top of the actuator on the trailer. Looks level by the frame on the wheels, but appears too high closer to the receiver. Need to get on the Boatmate site to see if they have anything listed. Then get something to drop a few inches.
    2018 Supra SL400

Default The 2020 Supra SE550 is a heavy girl!

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    a topic that has been beat to death on here.
    our '99 f250 with the factory tow pack is only 5k so ford has been this way for over 20 years. if there was a real big issue it would have manifested itself in class action years ago. you mention GM but our '16 silverado 1500 has the right hitch from the factory. we have the z71 with tow pack and it came with a hitch rated to tow these boats. not saying GM is all right but our truck from factory came with the right hitch.
    Fair enough, but how long have wakeboats exceeded 500/5000? 5-6 years maybe?

GM is right now on 1/2 ton pick ups. Ram was not in last generation truck, but I think ok in the new generation.

Point is, you should know what gear you are running, if you think your fine, I am not here to change your mind. No matter, it’s your risk.

Whenever I see an F150 towing a large trailer, boat etc, I get away from it.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Point is, you should know what gear you are running, if you think your fine, I am not here to change your mind. No matter, it’s your risk.
    I am 100% with ya.

will say tho that if it was a large issue we(in the recreational community) would see a lot more publicity on lawsuits going on.
    a couple other areas that go unnoticed as well:
    tires on trucks. how many are towing these pigs with half tons and still running the "carlike" tires that come factory on trucks. not sure it matters but when we spec new rubber on the chevy this fall 10ply will be a requirement.
    axles and tires on trailers. there's some differences in specs on trailer tires/axles and can vary depending on rim size. our tige is pushing the limit on the trailer it's sitting on dry. now add gear/fuel and iirc we are over the axle specs and discovered that the upgraded 18's have less load capacity than the 15's that were the "stock" rims.

when I took pics a few months ago for the last thread I am still amazed that the ford- with a lesser hitch rating- has what appears to be more stout bolts and is mounted in more places than the higher rated chevy. metal used on both hitches seems comparable in thickness and amount used but I'm no engineer.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Only thing I will add is travel trailers accept weight distribution hitches (just another upgrade) and with WD gear the factory hitch can take like 1100# and 11000# trailer weight.

Still doesn’t match the vehicle tow rating.

Ok, I will shut my pie hole now.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan