Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

The Tremor package on the new F250s uses different spring packs and rides less firm than the OG super duties. The new 7.3L gasser pushrod v8 seems to be a rare sparkling diamond in the world of complicated forced induction too. Not going to lie... I've been playing with the online configuration tool!

Currently towing with a Tahoe which has the 1k / 10k hitch from the factory and shorter rear diff offered with the max trailering package. Surprised at how well it handled my Kaiyen to be honest. I give most of the credit to Boatmate and these beautiful trailers.

Totally agree that tires are often overlooked though... All these 22"+ wheels with the skinny profile street tires that don't come close to proper load requirements. I sold the 22s and Cooper tires that came on my truck and "downgraded" to smaller wheels with nice Conti A/Ts before hitching up...
    2020 Kaiyen

There is some major misconception about the ratings from Ford going around. The stock hitch on the F150 is rated for more than 5,000 lbs. The one my truck states a little over 11,000 lbs. The catch is to use the full weight rating you have to utilize a weight distribution set up, which most everyone towing heavy ass travel trailers is. In order to get that max 13,200 lb rating you have to have the truck configured in a very specific way (max tow, extended cab, 4x2, xlt trim, ect). The more weight you add in the form of options like 4x4, crew cab, lariat ect the heavier the truck is and the less it can tow.

There is a lot of discussion on the 500/5000 being more of a truck rating due to taking weight off the steer axle when you get above 500 lbs tongue weight. The hitch is plenty strong because whether it is weight carrying or weight distributing it is still holding the tongue weight of the trailer. Most of these after market set ups that I have seen that say they are good for 1000lb weight carrying tongue weight look to the eye way more flimsy than the factory hitch. I wonder if the testing criteria to determine capacity is the same for Ford and say Curt for example?

PS, our 2015 expedition stock hitch sticker says 600lbs tongue, 6000 trailer weight carrying and 920 lb tongue, 9200 lb weight distributing. Which is the exact rating of the vehicle from Ford
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Maybe I am old and crotchety, but no matter GM, Ford and Ram the 3/4 tons are too stiff when unloaded as a daily, rough ride.
    GM HD trucks ride nothing like Ford or Ram. My daily driver 2015 Chevy 3500 diesel rides just as nicely as any 1/2 ton I've ever owned or ridden in. It's a little more work to park in tight quarters (crew cab w/longbed), but it's just fine as a daily driver.

Mileage-wise it's about a wash with a 1/2 ton gasser, the Cummins in the Rams are the kings of diesel fuel economy.

Not sure how old a truck you've been exposed to, but there is no stinkiness to mine, and it's as quiet as any gasser.
    2019 Supra SL450

Default The 2020 Supra SE550 is a heavy girl!

Perhaps I should test drive a few 3/4tons.

Curb weight alone the 250 is 2500# more than an F150.

Could I tolerate a 250 daily, probably. But honestly the F150 does very well towing my SA. The 3.5EB, 10 speed and 3.55 gear has plenty of shitnget, to pull nearly 8000# of wakeboat, trailer, lead and gear.

I actually have 2 F150’s currently, 2018 3.5EB and 2019 2.7EB and the 2.7 feels quicker.

Both run low 14 sec 1/4 mile and are sporty to drive for a full size truck.

To each their own. Love a lot about a 250 don’t get me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

My brother in law owns a construction company and drives a chevy 2500 diesel, 2019. I have driven it and I have to admit it is fairly comfortable but it feels substantially larger than my F150, It drives confortably enough for a truck that size and I could live with it as a daily if my work demanded it, but for a guy who needs to pull a boat on weekends, it does seem like a little much. It feels stiffer, heavier, ride seems a little rougher, not dramatically, but one can tell. As a regular consumer I would not buy it, but If I needed one I could see myself using it as a daily. My BIL actually got himself a Maxima for his daily when not using the truck for work. It is a very nice truck with all the creature comforts one can get on a luxury sedan.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

Perhaps I should test drive a few 3/4tons.

Curb weight alone the 250 is 2500# more than an F150.

Could I tolerate a 250 daily, probably. But honestly the F150 does very well towing my SA. The 3.5EB, 10 speed and 3.55 gear has plenty of shitnget, to pull nearly 8000# of wakeboat, trailer, lead and gear.

I actually have 2 F150’s currently, 2018 3.5EB and 2019 2.7EB and the 2.7 feels quicker.

Both run low 14 sec 1/4 mile and are sporty to drive for a full size truck.

To each their own. Love a lot about a 250 don’t get me wrong.

Those Ecoboost engines are impressive. I rented an Expedition with it one time, expected it to be gutless. I couldn't have been more wrong. Great gas mileage too.

To me, if I'm going to own a truck, it may as well have as much capability as I can get (within reason, I'm not gonna be daily driving an MDT), so I can do whatever I might need to do.

I never have to question whether my truck will tow/haul whatever I need it to.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    Those Ecoboost engines are impressive. I rented an Expedition with it one time, expected it to be gutless. I couldn't have been more wrong. Great gas mileage too.

To me, if I'm going to own a truck, it may as well have as much capability as I can get (within reason, I'm not gonna be daily driving an MDT), so I can do whatever I might need to do.

I never have to question whether my truck will tow/haul whatever I need it to.
    The 2.7l puts out 121hp per liter. That is a very high state of tune for a factory engine.

Imagine the raptor 6.2 in that level of tune....750hp.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

ford must have some good engineers on board. in the turbo4 community it's not uncommon to see 150hp/liter from the small 4's and the ford focus rs was up in that same range but from a 6cyl in a truck it's impressive. betting the groundwork on the 3.5 and the focus rs helped them.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    ford must have some good engineers on board. in the turbo4 community it's not uncommon to see 150hp/liter from the small 4's and the ford focus rs was up in that same range but from a 6cyl in a truck it's impressive. betting the groundwork on the 3.5 and the focus rs helped them.
    In the after market it’s not difficult, I have a Cadillac running 130hp per liter, but 121 is extremely impressive STOCK.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

The 2.7l puts out 121hp per liter. That is a very high state of tune for a factory engine.

Imagine the raptor 6.2 in that level of tune....750hp.

If I could find an Ecoboost setup <100k miles reasonably priced, I'd be tempted to stick it into my 1950 Ford car.
    2019 Supra SL450