Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to surfing - Supra Launch 21V

After owning our 21V for 10 years I am ready to give surfing a go. I still love wakeboarding and never plan on giving it up, but after the morning glass turns into chop it would nice to have something else to do. I know my boat is not ideal for surfing, but I did purchase a suckgate (Ronix Eight.3) so that should help. Right now I have 650s in the rear and 1100 in ski locker which is what I use for wakeboarding. Also, I purchased a Liquid Force Rocket for my wife and whoever else. I am planning on getting more of a skim style board for myself. Any suggestions?

Thank you. Scott
    2006 Supra Launch 21V

Well I don’t have that hull so I can’t help you too much there but it sounds like you have enough ballast. Probably more weight on the surf side helps with the wave. Somebody with a 21v will chime in.

As far as surf boards, I started on the rocket and it’s not bad for beginners. I’m 200lbs and it’s a little slow. My daughter is 105lbs and it’s really fast. I upgraded to a Slingshot Gnarwall and it’s a fantastic board. Very fast and night and day compared to the rocket. That’s pretty much all the experience I have since I just started surfing last summer. Hope this helps ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go fill up your ballast, attach the suckgate and drain a little off the suckgate side and see if you like the wave. my gut is you will need another 500lbs on each side in the rears. front should be fine at 1100. I don't know many that have 650's in the rear and are happy with the wave. that's a tad light. might even add a few hundred in lead under the seats to move to the surf side to assist.

I'd look toward phase5 for a skim board. had real good luck with our danielo board and know they make some good choices. we also have a cwb ride that a lot of riders have enjoyed with a single fin on the back. on the custom side if you want to venture down the $$ road, victoria makes some stellar skimboards.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I echo was @sandm says. I have a friend with an '06 21v. He gets a nice surf wake. Running about 1100# in each locker. A slight list to the surf side, usually done with people sitting on that side. Surf Suction Device on the opposite side. Works fine.

Skip the beginner board for yourself and just buy a good one like a Phase5. You really cannot go wrong with any board: Model-X, Hammerhead, MVP, etc. The best ones are the leftover 2019s that are cheaper or finding one used (which is harder).

I have a few boat-boards that I let the beginners use.
    2018 Supra SL400

Thank you for the information!
    2006 Supra Launch 21V

I have tried about everything on the surfing side,

Even now with the Mojo we run the Auto Wake system and a suck gate.

Things to note on the Suck Gate

You can over weight the system, it doesn’t work like traditional surfing where you weight the boat and the more weight the better your wave.

It has limits.

Exp on the Mojo we run 1100 in both rear bags, then 500 hard tank and that’s it. We when have the gate about the width of my hand below the water line.

We use the Surf system to help trim the boat and shape the wave a little more.

When you when the surf gate is too low it will plow underwater and not cause water convergence its designed for, this will make a washy wave.

Also when its too high you will get a rooster tail off it splashing water up.

It takes a few trying, now with the older hull the Supra 21 uses it always liked a lot of nose weight but you need the back of the boat level, and sitting deeper then the front.

The gate is not designed to have the boat leaning to one side, its designed to cause water convergence under the rear of the boat pushing water to the center behind the boat to help create the wave.

Leaning the boat will put the gate too deep under water.

Also the Gate is only designed to go so fast, 9-12mph, after 12 ours tends to come off randomly, lucky mine floats, we actually had to go looking for it when it came off surfing and we didn’t realize it until my wife finally fell on 3/4 mile away lol
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I have tried about everything on the surfing side,

Even now with the Mojo we run the Auto Wake system and a suck gate.

Things to note on the Suck Gate

You can over weight the system, it doesn’t work like traditional surfing where you weight the boat and the more weight the better your wave.

It has limits.

Exp on the Mojo we run 1100 in both rear bags, then 500 hard tank and that’s it. We when have the gate about the width of my hand below the water line.

We use the Surf system to help trim the boat and shape the wave a little more.

When you when the surf gate is too low it will plow underwater and not cause water convergence its designed for, this will make a washy wave.

Also when its too high you will get a rooster tail off it splashing water up.

It takes a few trying, now with the older hull the Supra 21 uses it always liked a lot of nose weight but you need the back of the boat level, and sitting deeper then the front.

The gate is not designed to have the boat leaning to one side, its designed to cause water convergence under the rear of the boat pushing water to the center behind the boat to help create the wave.

Leaning the boat will put the gate too deep under water.

Also the Gate is only designed to go so fast, 9-12mph, after 12 ours tends to come off randomly, lucky mine floats, we actually had to go looking for it when it came off surfing and we didn’t realize it until my wife finally fell on 3/4 mile away lol
    I would disagree on a few of your points about suckgates. Listing the boat a bit - like you said, with people - definitely helps, you just have to make sure you have the suckgate in the right position for it. Same with weight. The more the better, just adjust the position for the weight.

If yours is a hand's width under water when not moving, that's likely too deep. I've found the right position on both my old Mondo and my buddy's X10 is to be just about level with the water. The gate should make a clean (no spray) rooster tail off it that goes to the rear, not up into the boat.

You'll also want to play with fore-aft placement to get the best wave. About 6-12" forward from the rear corner worked for us. That of course depends on the blade placement of the suckgate you use. A pic on my Mondo to show you the placement that worked for me.

I've never had one come off if put on properly, even when we forgot to take it off and started blasting off across the lake. It gets your attention though when everyone in the back gets soaked.
    2019 Supra SL450

Maybe this has to do with the hull difference or I have auto wake system on mine but I don’t really have many people in the boat now but my experience is as noted above.

Ours rarely falls off but if it’s too low it will due to water pressure on it.

But your notes are still great info
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

our experience is similar to shoes. just at the level of the water is where our boat likes it.
    we have had it come off once but the guy I got it from had it come off several times. told me when he gave it to me to paint it bright pink so it would stand out if it fell off but we haven't yet.
    contemplating gsa but can't get past the silly price for it yet. it really should be at the 2-2500 pricepoint imo.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

We tie a small rope as a tether from the cleat on the boat to the device just in case. Has saved us once or twice.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190