Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm getting there...

Been an odd season down here in AUS, fires, 43degC days, 12 degC days, rain, hail and blowin a gale.....strange Summer.
    Needless to say hadn't got out too much, last weekend was calm for a change and we made it out.
    Was able to let the rope go for just over 2mins on several occasions so a big achievement for me, 54yo and 123kgs.
    Rear leg thigh and calve muscles are killing me now but hey its work time atm.
    Was trying to figure out how to pump the board so when back a bit I can move forward, weigh changes are fine for speeding up and slowing down but my dance moves on the board just don't cut it. Any tips there about getting drive outta the board would be appreciated.
    Going to have to loose a bit of weight and work on toning up the leg muscles some more over the looming off season.
    Cheers, BruceR Melb AUS.
    Bruce
    2014 Moomba Mondo

Move that front foot like you're stomping out a fire but only lifting your heel. Seriously. About that speed and force while keeping your weight as far forward as possible.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Also use the face of the wave for you pump. The best way I heard it was this "you let the board ride up the face and you gas pedal it back down in a smearing motion and do it again until your back in the pocket" you do this in a fast motion but rhythmic motion. The down hill push on the wave is where you get your speed
    2018 Craz, 3000lbs stock ballast, ENZOs, 500lb Lead Ballast, Still chasing the best wave!

have you upgraded the bags in the mondo? stock isn't going to produce a wave that you will enjoy. 900's in the rear corner, an ibs up front and depending on the crew, another 500lbs in lead would help.

and since you're on the other side of the world, make sure and drive the other direction haha.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Snowslydder View Post
    Also use the face of the wave for you pump. The best way I heard it was this "you let the board ride up the face and you gas pedal it back down in a smearing motion and do it again until your back in the pocket" you do this in a fast motion but rhythmic motion. The down hill push on the wave is where you get your speed
    This. Always cracks me up to see people slapping the nose of the board on the water trying to "pump it!"
    2019 Supra SL450

Thanks guys, gives me a few things to have a go at. Hope the gyrations don't get me put away and locked up by the family, I'm sure you all know what teenagers think and vocalize …

Bergermaister - Thanks man, been plenty of bush fires around this Summer so lots of practice already. Will give that a shot and see. Keeping the weight forward I get, nosed in a few times to rapturous laughter but getting better with the balance.

Snowslydder - Thanks will give that a go as well, probably a case of find what works for oneself but great to have some starting options.

Sandm - Cheers mate, you're a funny bugger eh? Maybe I should be on the other side of the wave???? Nah. Mate I don't want to sink the boat but I've upgraded the bags in the rear thanks to a forum member here, thinking I need to get some more weight midship and see.

Hopefully another go at it this weekend.

Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.
    Bruce
    2014 Moomba Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by bjrow View Post
    Thanks guys, gives me a few things to have a go at. Hope the gyrations don't get me put away and locked up by the family, I'm sure you all know what teenagers think and vocalize …

Bergermaister - Thanks man, been plenty of bush fires around this Summer so lots of practice already. Will give that a shot and see. Keeping the weight forward I get, nosed in a few times to rapturous laughter but getting better with the balance.

Snowslydder - Thanks will give that a go as well, probably a case of find what works for oneself but great to have some starting options.

Sandm - Cheers mate, you're a funny bugger eh? Maybe I should be on the other side of the wave???? Nah. Mate I don't want to sink the boat but I've upgraded the bags in the rear thanks to a forum member here, thinking I need to get some more weight midship and see.

Hopefully another go at it this weekend.

Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.
    You have a Mondo? In my 14 Mondo I had 1100s (probably only filled to 1000ish) in the rear, stock center, 750 bow bag, plus 700 lbs lead spread around and a 400 lb bag I'd move around depending on crew. Wave was as good as you'll get from a 20 ft boat.
    2019 Supra SL450

Yep a 14 Mondo.
    Will try a bit more weight, if I get into the right area I can surf ropeless for quite some time, just if we come across a wave or such need to get the pumping action happening to get back there when it throws me out. Just shifting weight forward is a bit mute at that point I find.
    Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.
    Bruce
    2014 Moomba Mondo

Bugger.....!
    Not going to make it out to try these suggestions it seems.
    Crappy weather, cooler temps, COVID-19 and a looming lockdown. Wow what a start to the new year.
    I'll do some garage boating and look forward to hearing how you all enjoy the season over there.
    Hope you all stay safe wrt the virus and get some good boating in.
    Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.
    Bruce
    2014 Moomba Mondo

Another fun and interesting season come to a close downunder.
    Lockdowns weren't much fun and it seems the blue green algae made a break for it around our state of Victoria in Australia due to weird weather and poor land/water management. Anyway still managed to get out numerous times and have some great family fun.
    Always thought boats were meant to "float" but found myself adding lead weight this year placed in the nose area to lengthen the wave, that along with previous suggestions about pumping the board and I found I could often get back from almost being thrown out of the wave. According to the kids it's a pretty funny sight to behold but hey none of them can surf ropeless!
    I did find that the more people we take on in the boat the more we need to list to the side to clean the wave up.
    All Winterized, sigh. Hope the season goes well for you all in the States and look forward to reading through the posts.
    Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.
    Bruce
    2014 Moomba Mondo