Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question 400 vs 450 raptor motor

I am currently building my Makai and want to know what the top speed is in the makai with the 400 vs the 450. I know conditions will dictate this so lets assume perfect conditions so that we take that out of the equation. I test drove the makai with the 400 in it and it topped out at 38 MPH with no ballast. I was surprised, I know these boats aren't designed for top end speed but I thought it would get into the mid 40s at least. We do like to whip around the lakes and rivers in our current boat at high speeds at times and it would be nive if we could have a killer surf boat that also has the ability to go a little faster than the high 30s. Does anyone know what the top end speed is in the makai with the 450? Does it have higher top end speed than the 400 or just get you to 38MPH faster? Does any one know what the top end speed of the 575 motor is in the makai? I need help making the motor decision!!!

I don't know about top end speed but I just went through this same deliberation and opted for the 450 to ensure enough "pull" with a relatively full crew and full ballast. From what I understand the 400 with the new 1.76 transmission is "fine" for most surfing and wakeboarding situations with a lighter crew and stock ballast but not quite enough with extra ballast and/or a fuller crew...especially at any altitude. I do know of one 2019 Makai 400 owner who traded up to the 450 because he wasn't happy with the performance at higher wakeboarding speeds with a full crew or heavy ballast.

Again, all of this is related to surfing and wakeboarding performance not top end cruising speed so not sure if it's helpful with your decision. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    JB

- 2020 Makai

Top speed is far more prop-dependent than anything. You can get a prop to "whip around" at top speed with either motor, but it isn't going to be very good for surfing or getting on plane wakeboarding when heavily ballasted. You need to decide which is more important.
    2019 Supra SL450

I was about to saw the prop is what is going to have the biggest influence on top speed. If you plan on surfing or carrying lots of ballast you can likely forget 40 mph. These boats are meant for pulling not top speed. If you want top speed then you’re going to sacrifice pulling power so you have to decide which is more important. My last boat would do 49 mph. I don’t miss the speeds one bit and normally cruise 23-28 mph.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Once I got a wakeboat, I simply don’t understand high speed boating anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I think you are looking at the wrong type of boat if you are still interested in top speed and being able to cruise at 40+ mph. Not to mention these boats dont really have the hull design for top speed handling or handling any chop at high speeds.

Go buy a Nor-Tech, Skater, or Top Gun if you want to go balls to the wall.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Reading recent boat reviews I feel like hitting 40 seems damn good for a wake boat.

Last review on centurions and some malibus in BOATING top speeds were somewhere around 33-35. I think you will will get used to it...grew up on jet boats and now I feel like 23-26 is a nice cruise and when going over 30 feel like my hair is on fire! I open her up to 38-39 every once in a while for short jaunts just for kicks.
    2018 Max - Ultrablue flake/Gray - 4400 lbs water (720s midship), 750 lbs lead somewhere

Default 400 vs 450 raptor motor

One of my biggest pet peeves now is WOT boat guy standing up driving in the breezeway

I did 38mph in my boat once and nobody in my crew enjoyed it. When cruising 23mph is much more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 02-19-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I have friends that have this. It's a dual boat setup.

Both could afford 1 really nice (upper end) wake boat, but settled for 2 nice boats.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Buy a wake boat and buy one of those used rocket PWC's for times you want to blast off 70+ mph!
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold