Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mobius raw water pump question:

Hello everyone, first time poster here.. I've got a 2013 mobius that I winterized for the first time this last fall.. I figured I should pull the raw water pump beings the last owner said it hasn't been replaced in "awhile." When I pulled out the impeller this piece of spring or whatever came out also. It was back behind the impeller.. I'm not sure what to think of it? Is it something that just got pulled into the system? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you.. I tried uploading a picture, but was having a hard time. Hopefully the imgur link works.. thanks again.

https://i.imgur.com/Qx5TEfZ.jpg

wow that is strange, i would guess it is something that got pulled in but can't say for sure. Just doesn't look like it is part of the pump. I've only changed mine a few times and don't recall seeing anything like that. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Even stranger is the impeller still looks to be in pretty good shape! I would check the pump housing for damage.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Thank you guys for the replies.. yes, the impeller looks to be in good shape.. I figured I would replace it anyway.. the soft spring type thing was completely back behind the impeller.. wasn't wrapped in it or anything.. I'm not sure what to do next.. the boat ran fine all last summer so not sure if it is a fluke thing that got sucked in or if it actually goes somewhere. Thank you guys again for the replies!

Definitely weird. There's not a spring in there that I know of. It looks pretty tiny, it might of been sucked up in there... +1 on the above, check the housing for excessive wear or damage and if there's none you got lucky.

That looks like a spring that goes inside of a seal. If you still have the pump out, which way is the seal facing? Could the spring inside the seal for the bearings have popped out when the previous owner replaced the impeller and they just didn't notice it? If that seal is going bad, it will let water into the bearings of the raw water pump.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I am almost positive the spring in the seal faces the impeller.

Last edited by JesseC; 02-20-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Oh wow.. that looks like the same spring that came out.. it was at the back of the impeller like you are saying.. do you know how difficult it is to replace that seal? I'm all for trying things myself as the local mechanic is very expensive! Thank you for your time.

Just google Johnson raw water pump rebuild. Haven’t done one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I helped my buddy replace one in a different application. The pump was out if the boat.

I recall it being called a ? garter spring ? and it sits in that seal mentioned above.

You can order them new online - seal and spring. I think they have options w/ a rubber o-rings or the orig spring inside the seal ring.

As mentioned above, there should be info online.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400