Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2020 Max or Kaiyen

This has probably been asked but....just in case.

I want to buy a new 2020 Moomba the dealer (whom I know and trust) has a 2020 Max and a Kaiyen. I also have a close relative that has owned Moomba’s for many years. I asked him for some advice and he pushed me towards the Max as our family probably doesn’t need the Autowake 3 on the Kaiyen. 3 young children under 10. Boat will be used for surfing and having the kids learn new water sports. Our family currently skis, tubes and now learning to surf.

Talking to the dealer, he thought we may not be happy with the Max wake due to not typically loading up with people and suggested if bought we should add some lead.

Curious on anyone’s thoughts. Thanks.

I haven't demoed the Kaiyen yet but typically the bigger the boat the more you'll need to add ballast if you run a light crew. The big boats are intended to hold lots of people and need the weight to displace a wave. So you either add people or add more weight (lead or water ballast) to achieve desired displacement. That being said the Kaiyen weighs the same as the bigger Max so perhaps it's pretty nice wave in factory ballast but I don't know. I think the general consensus is all boats need a little extra help or ballast compared to stock wave performance.

The two boats have different bow layouts. The Max carries a lot of its wide beam into the bow and it's very large. The Kaiyen tapers in a little and not quite as long. If you like large bows the Kaiyen may feel a little cramped with adults. The freeboard is pretty tall on the Max which allows for lots of ballast options or lots of storage where the Kaiyen is not going to offer quite the same amount.

I would suggest you demo both and crawl over both with your family and see which one you like the most. I don't think you could go wrong with either but obviously I'm more biased towards the bigger boat. IMO Don't worry about what the dealer thinks you need until you actually demo the boats and go with your gut in the end.
    Last edited by haknslash; 02-09-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

I'd take the max. the extra foot and wider bow will be a nice feature as your kids get older and bring friends.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

2020 Max has 4k ballast, up from 3k the last two years. I have a 19 with 4k. For a family learning to surf, it's plenty. At least with the Max you have plenty of room to add lead weight as you need to. Storage for days. If you are the same person that posted on the FB group, and have CDL as your home lake, you will love how the Max takes all those constant rollers.
    19 Max
    Fully Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    2020 Max has 4k ballast, up from 3k the last two years. I have a 19 with 4k. For a family learning to surf, it's plenty. At least with the Max you have plenty of room to add lead weight as you need to. Storage for days. If you are the same person that posted on the FB group, and have CDL as your home lake, you will love how the Max takes all those constant rollers.
    Wasn’t me posting on FB group and I do appreciate the feedback. A lot of folks steering me towards the Max, actually nobody towards the Kaiyen. And I would save some coin.

2020 Kaiyen is capable of throwing huge waves and powerful wakes to satisfy riders of all skill levels if that's what you want. To top off all of the performance, it is extremely customizable inside and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Madtown View Post
    Wasn’t me posting on FB group and I do appreciate the feedback. A lot of folks steering me towards the Max, actually nobody towards the Kaiyen. And I would save some coin.
    Kaiyen is new and the Max has been out 3 years now and only positive reviews. If I was buying again I would look hard at the Kaiyen. Although, I hopped in one at the boat show and it felt so much smaller, especially in the bow area where everyone likes to sit. And you still can get a Max for under 80k fully loaded.
    19 Max
    Fully Exiled

Never demoed either but crawled over both at the boat show. The Kaiyen is nice, but the bow is small. An adult can't really stretch their legs out up there comfortably. The Kaiyen is a little nicer though. Think of it as more of a mid level boat like the Makai that bridges the gap between entry level and Supra. I would of really been interested in the Kaiyen if the bow was bigger.
    2015 Yamaha 242 LS - Sold
    2018 SL 450

Quote Originally Posted by mrgrtt123 View Post
    2020 Kaiyen is capable of throwing huge waves and powerful wakes to satisfy riders of all skill levels if that's what you want. To top off all of the performance, it is extremely customizable inside and out.
    This. And looks are amazing compared to max. And you can get the pro tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    2019 Craz

What is the advantage of the pro tower aside from it having colored accents? Just curious.

IMO the deal killer for us would be the smaller bow and less storage on the Kaiyen. That being said you can get it with Flow 3.0 surf plates unlike the Max. Not sure how much of a real advantage there is to Flow 3 vs Flow 2 though.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold