Thread: Best way to Buy

Question Best way to Buy

I have researched and demo'd boats for almost a year and have decided on a Moomba Craz. What is the best approach if I want to order one, because I can't find the right option combination in-stock. I have tried a few dealers, and I have seen a host of different prices, but I feel like every time I ask a few questions about a price difference between builds or try to better understand how to special order (and want to understand pricing for a custom order vs. inventory) I never hear back from the dealers. Is business that good? I guess if I didn't buy on the spot at the local boat show or buy from available inventory, dealers don't care.

Are these phone calls or are you at the dealer asking these questions. It sounds like phone calls. Buying these boats isn’t just about bottom dollar IMO. You need to buy one from a dealer that will support and go to bat for you if you have any warranty issues. Yes these boats move and Skiers Choice only makes around 1,000 Moomba boats a year. If you want it specific spec’d out to your exact liking color and all then ordering is likely the only way.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Did you build your boat using the online configurator? The Moomba website will show you what options are available and how much they cost.

They take your custom build to your dealer and work on your best deal.

Go in person so your dealer knows your serious, phone calls make you look like a tire kicker.

I don’t want to say these boats sell themselves, but these boats sell themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I feel like for the coin we drop, ordering is the way to go so you are getting something you LOVE and is exactly how you want it versus something you settled for that was already built.

That being said, you may have missed your window to get boat show pricing on a custom build...I'm not sure how long that runs past boat show season.

Haknslash is absolutely right, these aren't Hyundai's on volume dealer lots so shopping around for the best price is not the way to approach this purchase.

Dealer relationship is critical, as is dealer location. Technically yes, all SC dealers have to do warranty claims on your ride, but if you take your boat to a different dealer than you bought it from...you can expect to get placed at the back of the line behind that dealer's actual customers.

Dealers get allocated a set number of build slots, the majority of slots get filled with spec/inventory boats the dealer feels will appeal to a general audience but there are usually a few slots left this time of year. If there isn't, but the dealer knows you are serious (like going in person) your dealer can swap your custom build order for a spec already on the books.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Agree with the above posts. You need to go into the dealer and get to know them - building a relationship. If not, you may be sorry when you have a warranty issue or something needs to be adjusted a new boat.

Go into the dealer with some knowledge. There is a lot of information on Moomba site when building a new 2020 boat and adding up all the options. There are also other sites to show you what the 2018s and 2019s are selling for w/options: onlyinboards.com or boattrader.com or the Supra Moomba FBook page or other social media groups/sites

Options are what drive the prices up/down and it sometimes makes it hard to compare Boat A vs Boat B. It's also like that in the used market. Many will put upgraded items like bags, stereos, flooring, tinted windshields, wheels on trailers, upgraded props etc.

As RC said - each dealer gets build slots and they start to fill up during boat show season when people are putting down deposits to hold a build-slot, then make the decisions on what they want to build. Do not wait too long.

Also - prices and discounts vary by region and how many boats the dealer sells.

Where are you located?
    2018 Supra SL400

in most cases you will drive a better deal buying a boat sitting on a lot than you will with a custom order so ask yourself how flexible you are willing to be on options.
    our last new boat had been sitting on the dealer lot for several months. it wasn't the exact exterior color combo we liked but was 10k less than ordering new and 90 days to build so after delivery it cost us $300 to replace the graphics with another color which made it work for us. it also had heater/shower which we didn't need nor want but boat price was too good to pass up.

for those with dealers in the area it's easy to forge a relationship and should be considered. in our current living situation the only options locally we have are 'bu/axis and supreme/nautty. all the other dealers are 6hrs away in slc/phx/LA(it's a wash which city we can drive to as all are about 6 hrs). for us it would be ALL about shopping price as dealer support will be nonexistent.
    it also made more sense for us in our current state to buy used private party as new and/or dealer purchase cost us sales tax whether in or out of state. used private party in or out of state there's no tax in nevada. saved us over 5grand on the boat. check that out as well as every state varies.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

thanks for all the feedback and thoughts. very helpful 100% agree on building a relationship with the right dealer. and the location. I live a few hours from where I boat, and where I will keep my boat so location is key too.

the conversations have been over email or the phone because of my work/travel schedule, but can see how my questions and pushing for spec sheets and pricing might have put me in the "tire kicking, price warrior" camp, when I was more just trying to gather details to help figure out what was available and what the boat at the dealer included. I will try to get over to the dealer in-person next week. feels like that will help as will putting down a deposit. I am serious, but agree that for the $$, i want to make sure I love it(and my kids love it), and it works for everything we want to do on the lake. thank again for the replies.

Yup the dealer is key and near the same importance as the boat if buying new. I shopped for these boats for over a year and a half and during that time made several trips to the same dealers to get to know them and a feel for how they treat customers not only during the sale but long after.

I think you could still get in with a custom order and boat show incentives but as mentioned it would totally depend on how many slots the dealer has for a custom build. They only get allocated a certain amount and each dealer is different. Of that amount they build their dealer spec’d inventory and leave a few for custom orders. Best to check with dealers in your area. I want to say the window closed around mid-February for the incentives but you would need to at least lock in with a small deposit.

I agree if you were just communicating via email they probably would put you in the tire kicker camp. Once you go there and get to know them face to face you can ask them all the questions and if they’re a good dealer they will be more than happy to go over everything with you. Be sure you demo all the models you’re considering, even other brands, so you make an informed decision. Best of luck and have fun! Shopping for them is real fun especially when you’re ready to buy!

Highly recommend taking the factory tour if you’re in the area. Definitely worth it and if you do decide to custom build you can schedule the tour so you get to see your boat being built. That’s what we did and it was awesome to see the process and got to see sneak peak of new stuff before it was announced. Of course you can’t speak of any of that stuff but it’s cool to see! Seeing our boat being assembled was pretty damn cool and won’t forget it....or the smell lol.
    Last edited by haknslash; 02-06-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Being in the market currently, and having gone through the process of upgrading my boat for this spring, I agree, a good relationship with your dealer is key. I have been talking to my dealer about possibly upgrading to Supra SL since last year. In December I built the Supra like I wanted it and saved it in the website. Next day my dealer called me, since they knew my boat well( they sold it and do all maintenance on my Mojo), they put together a killer deal including trade in on my boat and a crazy price on the Supra. As they say, an offer I could not refuse. I agree with RC, it makes sense, since they have a limited allotment of slots, if they could get my custom order build early, it would not count against their inventory quota, methinks?. That's prolly why I got such a good deal. Part of it has to do with timing I suppose, and relationships.
    Also, might want to look into when the offer for 7 yr engine and drivetrain warranty expires. That was another perk that helped me decide.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

I’ll sell you mine so I can upgrade lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    2019 Craz