Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb Trouble

Default Carb Trouble

I have a 97 Moomba Outback. I have had issues three times where the float sticks on the carberator. The engine floods and when I look into the carberator there is a steady drip of gas into the carb. I have to remove the rear bowl and move the float around. When I reassemble the carburetor the boat runs fine. Assuming the gasket is not damaged. I thought there was trash or something in the gas, but I have changed the fuel/water separator three times and have pumped all of the gas out of the tank. Anyone else had this problem? The Holley carberator was new when I bought the boat in '04. The boat runs perfect as long as the float issue does not ruin the day. Any help would be appreciated.

Isn't this what the "Service and Repair" forum is for ?

Joetechie
    You have nothing better to do than give a guy a bad time about what forum he puts his post in?Storm keep me posted since I have a carb on my boat and may run into this some day.Put in the Classified forum.

Default Re: Carb Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    I have a 97 Moomba Outback. I have had issues three times where the float sticks on the carberator. The engine floods and when I look into the carberator there is a steady drip of gas into the carb. I have to remove the rear bowl and move the float around. When I reassemble the carburetor the boat runs fine. Assuming the gasket is not damaged. I thought there was trash or something in the gas, but I have changed the fuel/water separator three times and have pumped all of the gas out of the tank. Anyone else had this problem? The Holley carberator was new when I bought the boat in '04. The boat runs perfect as long as the float issue does not ruin the day. Any help would be appreciated.
    I suspect that you have some debris stuck in the inlet needle valve. It is the thing in the carburetor that the float pushes against to either let fuel into the fuel bowl or shut it off. You will probably have to get a carb kit and replace the inlet needle valves. I am not 100% sure which carb you have. If it is a Holley 4010 which is kind of silver colored and you have to remove the top of the carburetor to get at the floats, you will need an Indmar P/N S611022 Kit. If your carb is a Holley 4150 which is a dull reddish brown anodized color with individual removable float bowls. you will need an Indmar P/N S611025 Kit. Any Indmar dealer will be able to order the kit for you. Cleaning the inlet needle valves generally doesn't work. Replacing them is better.

Engine nut

Larry, you are the "MAN"
    B

HOLLY COW !!!!

Look how terrible a guy I am! I must have torn his limbs off and beaten him with them! I have no free time, but I have enough to plot and plan and be evil to people, and somehow degrade them and betrate them with my tirade posts...

...oh, wait...

...all I did was ask a question!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously - the over reaction stuff... "breath already"

I think I have proved that I try to help EVERYONE I can. My posts prove that. I am constantly welcoming people to the board.
    I make one post at 3am that could have had an even softer tone, and I am a terrible guy ?

get over yourself.

-Joe

We're all a little antzy Joe. So close to spring and a lot of us still can't get our boats out for another month.
    I know I sometimes make off-hand comments, and my sense of humor can definately be twisted now and again. But, in all honesty, I am really trying to help, also.

You're ok in my book. Keep up the good work.
    B

Joe,

You provide great feedback and I agree with the information you give out most of time. It's not what you say as much as how you say it. There are no rules to where a post is placed but it is better served to have a post in the area where it would get more exposure and perhaps more feedback and it keeps the Forum more organized. You made an issue with me on the tower post a month ago that was uncalled for but I knew something would come up again and someone else would be chided. Keep your comments positive and things work well.

Were not going to start talking about dead cats again are we?

Sorry about posting my question in the wrong forum. To be honest I was thinking about my boat problem and basically did not think about where I posted the question. I will try to do better next time.

Any-who. Thanks for the information on the needle valve replacement. I figured that I was getting trash in there, but I was unsure where it was coming from. Perhaps replacing them will repair the issue. I actually had to buy a rebuild kit last year when I tore a gasket trying to clean the trash out of the needle valves while out on the lake. It was an expensive way to get one gasket, but I needed it. Perhaps the rest of the kit will come in handy now. Not sure if it is the right kit, but it had the one gasket I needed. Thanks again for EVERYONE’S help and comments.

Storm