Default 05 Mobius lsv vs 08 Outback v

My wife and I are looking for our first boat for the family (have a couple young boys). Primary use would be wakeboarding, some surfing, and probably some tubing for the boys on our local lakes out in CA. Since it is our first boat, I’d prefer something older and more cost effective. That said would really like factory ballast (with little kids, I don’t really want to deal with holding pumps, and I don’t want to lose storage) and perfect pass.

I found a couple Moombas and have been doing research but wanted a few questions.

05 Mobius lsv
    - 300 hrs
    - 3 factory ballast
    - needs some upholstery work on the engine cover
    - does not have pp / need to add

08 Outback v
    - 150 hours
    - front ballast tank
    - pp

Getting some quotes on the upholstery but I think price will come out about the same with fixing the upholstery and adding pp to the mobius.

A couple specific questions:
    1. I looked at the archives and the dimensions looked the same. Are they the same boat/ hull?
    2. In think in read here or maybe a different forum that quality improved around 07/08. Is that accurate? If so, what kinds of things improved?
    3. If I get some ballast bags for the rear lockers on the Outback, will the wake’s be comparable for wakeboarding / surfing?
    4. Are there other differences between the two models I should be considering?

Would appreciate any input on the above or other experiences/advice on these two boats. Thanks!

1. Both are the same hull.
    2. 08 would have some improvements such as throttle by wire.
    3. For rear ballast you can expand the factory system or install individual pumps. Search the archives in this forum for info and check out wakemakers.com.
    750 lb bags will completely fill the rear lockers on both. You will also need some weight in the front.
    4. Standard motor in 05 was carb, 08 is fuel injection.

I have an 05 Mobious LSV that I purchased new. Decision would come down to condition of both boats but I would lean heavily towards the 08.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Awesome, thanks!

im with VA leaning toward the '08. the upholstery and PP would be the first drivers but the biggest advantage would be injected vs carb'ed.

my old supra was almost the same hull. for wakeboarding adding 750's in the rear and the midship or front ballast will produce a great wake. not sure on how well it cleans up at low speed for the kiddo's but at 22-24 it'll fit the bill for all but the pros. I'd focus more on how well it cleans up at low speed to help your kids learn.
    surfwave will be marginal at best for either. you will need a large crew or more than the 750's in the corners. you will be able to get some push and height out of it but length will be your challenge. outbacks have a pretty low freeboard so know that it will need to be running pretty low in the water as well to get a wave.

in that range of years there will be much better surf boats out there but wakeboard either boat will be more than most will ever need or master.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by VA LSV View Post
    1. Both are the same hull.
    Are you sure about that? It seems like the 05 Mobius LSV had a stepped hull toward the stern and was geared more for wakeboarding. The 08 Outback V has more of a "flat" stern geared more towards skiing?
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I have a 07 OBV and like VA LSV said, the 750s fill up the back storage compartments. You will need weight upfront and a suck gate do surf it, but it will throw a descent wake. Good luck!
    2007 Moomba Outback V
    750's in the rear, 400 in the center and 750 IBS.

If your budget allows, an 07 LSV or newer would be a great boat. The LSV is a great all around boat.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by JesseC View Post
    Are you sure about that? It seems like the 05 Mobius LSV had a stepped hull toward the stern and was geared more for wakeboarding. The 08 Outback V has more of a "flat" stern geared more towards skiing?
    I thought the Outback V hull was changed in 09.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    If your budget allows, an 07 LSV or newer would be a great boat. The LSV is a great all around boat.
    this. if you can swing the lsv over the obv.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Thanks all. Appreciate the input and the info on the 750's / wavemakers.