Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tipping

Default tipping

ok fellow boaters... what would you do......

we went out for dinner a few days ago and it's still sitting on my brain. we went to the local sportsbar that we like. food is always good and this meal was no exception. probably there 2x monthly. it's a pretty small place, maybe 10 tables(to seat 40ish) and a pool table then a pretty big bar that seats 25ish around it. guess it's 3000sqft.
    when we sat down the place was busier than we normally see it. 2 working the bar and 1 waitress. about 6 tables sat for a total of 22 or 24 people. it was obvious that she was a little frazzled as she was busy. took 5 minutes to get the greet and ask us for a drink order as she walked by us 4 times prior with no greet or eye contact. she was obviously NOT HAPPY to be at work and it showed. 10 minutes later 2nd waitress showed up and this allowed ours to spend the remainder of our visit chatting with a friend that was seated at the bar. had to ask for a refill on the beer as she was not paying attention and still in a not happy mood and took almost 10 minutes to get her attention to get the check. they have a rewards program and she didn't write down our phone number correctly to apply to our balance- checking us out seemed to be a nuisance.

bill for dinner and a few cocktails each was $42. 1) do you tip and 2) if tip what would you leave??

I should get off my soapbox BUT it feels anymore like a tip is expected and I was raised that a tip should be earned.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I've been in this situation before, if it's really bad, I let the manager know and get up and leave. (This generally results in a comped meal and a gift card)

Maybe I'm a dick but if the waitress is going out of her way to not do her job (like chatting with a bar patron after repeatedly passing empty glasses) ....I leave a message on the receipt on the tip line.

Usually something snarky like "Here's a tip: pay attention to the table of two, not just the tabletop of 8...."

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

If it’s somewhere I frequent I always tip regardless of the service on that particular outing. I generally tip well, 20% minimum unless the service is terrible, and even then it’s usually at least 10%.

I do have a weird pet peeve though, if the server brings back my credit card and the “customer copy” is on top and I sign it before noticing, I deduct $1 when I fill out the “store copy”. Not that they care which copy you sign and leave, but it’s one of my things lol.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

I usually do the same thing as z28ke: If it’s somewhere I frequent I always tip regardless of the service on that particular outing. I generally tip well, 20% minimum unless the service is terrible, and even then it’s usually at least 10%.

If the service is real bad, I tell the managers on duty. In the food industry, if it's happening to me, it's happening to everyone, so that server is probably not going to be in that job for too long.

If it’s somewhere I do not frequent, little or no tip, I also write a polite note on the credit card receipt, and I'm not going back.
    2018 Supra SL400

If it's a place i frequent and the service is generally good, I will look past one bad evening and give them the benefit of the doubt. If it happens again i would let the management know.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

My wife worked in food service as a kid and young adult and I got grilled for being a cheap tipping bastard for years so I've learned. In the end the tip is earned, not a given. If service is good to average I'm 20% min. If they are struggling to keep up, apologetic and seem to care I keep the same or even more to help make them feel better.

If it's shit service and they appear to know it and don't seem to give a damn then guess what - the tip is shit and good luck on your next gig. May leave a few bucks for my own conscious but that's about it.

I'm usually not one to talk to management unless it goes really really bad.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default tipping

20% strike it up to she had a bad day. $8 wont kill you.

If it’s a regular place it will come back around to your favor some day.

If it was a one time place , you just don’t go back.

But my theory is waitstaff needs tips to live and I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 01-13-2020 at 11:20 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

This is a great thread. I hate to skip a tip and usually over tip. I generally try to get a feel for what is going on. Is the service bad because people called in sick and two people are doing the job of four? If that is the case, I top well despite the poor service. However, I've been in your situation twice in my life where there were plenty of people working and the person waiting our table simply did not care. Nothing drives me crazy like running out of a beverage half way through my meal and finding it impossible to get another. The two times in my life I was horribly dissatisfied with the service, I tipped $1. I thought this sent a message. Again, 99.9999% of the time, I tip extremely well and I've only tipped $1 twice. It took a lot to get me to that point.
    2020 Supra SE 450

I use 20% for 95% of all tips. Really bad service will net 10% tip and exceptional service combined with me being in a generous mood can yield anything up to 100% but that's on the rare occasions. I just want to know when the standard tip went from 15% to 20%??

In other non-related tipping topics, why are we expected to tip for a haircut? When you get a haircut you are paying for the service of a haircut. No one ever tipped me for a rotation and balance when I worked at Firestone or Sewell. I understand why you waiters and such, you are paying for the food and the service is an extra provided service in an sense.

It also drives me crazy when they have tip lines on receipts at places like Freebirds. Like really?? Ya'll don't serve me at my table, ya'll don't refill my drink, ya'll dont buss the table after I eat. It's like if taco bell workers expected a tip.

One last thing, do ya'll tip at the drive through daiquiri window? I do but I think I may stop. I think that is on the receipt for the people who go inside and sit at the bar.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    No one ever tipped me for a rotation and balance when I worked at Firestone or Sewell.

It also drives me crazy when they have tip lines on receipts at places like Freebirds. Like really?? Ya'll don't serve me at my table, ya'll don't refill my drink, ya'll dont buss the table after I eat. It's like if taco bell workers expected a tip.

One last thing, do ya'll tip at the drive through daiquiri window? I do but I think I may stop. I think that is on the receipt for the people who go inside and sit at the bar.
    First, you got hosed at Firestone & Sewell....I was a grease monkey at Discount Tire in HS and undergrad...I regularly got tipped for providing customers with free services like a flat repair or rotation & balance

I don't tip at Freebirds and other restaurants that fall under fast casual. Like you said, they don't serve you, don't refill your drink or bus your table.

I can't comment on tipping at drive-through daiquiri shops.

Your man card has been revoked! The only place it's acceptable for men to drink a daiquiri is on a remote secluded beach.

I suppose if you are pretending it's a "road coke" and others can't tell because of the styrofoam cup you might get a pass.

Should you tip your drive-through bartender?? Maybe if you are a regular and they give you a floater/sidekick shot.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX