Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need a New Tow Rig - Under $25K - Touareg or Yukon Denali

Earlier this year, after 10 years with our 2007 LSV, we picked up a new 2018 Craz and we love it. Our 2000 Durango with the 4.7 has served us well for over a 16 years and 4 boats but the new boat is pushing the limits in many ways. I want to get a new tow rig in the under $25K range and have been looking at Yukon Denali's with the 6.2L. Love the seating capacity over that of a truck and I am finding our budget will get us something in the 2009-2012 range with around 100K miles. I also started looking at the TDI Touareg's and although seating is limited to five you can get a much nicer rig for the price.

Is anyone towing a newer Craz with either vehicle? How does it tow going over the mountains. We have a few 5,000 foot passes we will need to tow over and would love to do it at a decent speed.

Thanks, Robert

With a full tank of gas, some lead, coolers, your gear, etc. I think you'll find yourself quickly at the upper limits of the Touareg's towing capacity.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

RC, thanks for the input. I had to promise the wife I would hold off on more lead until the Durango is replaced. I have 300 pounds, want more. The Touareg's tow rating I think is not impacted by the weight you add in the rig itself. I think the Denali has 8,500 pound tow rating but it is lowered by the weight in the rig. I am leaning towards a Denali, due to the fact it is nice to bring everyone to the water in 1 rig. The T-reg has the benefit of better fuel efficiency and a much easier ride when not towing the boat.

Default Need a New Tow Rig - Under $25K - Touareg or Yukon Denali

I have a Touareg along with my Ram 3500. The Touareg does surprise me every time I tow with it but for long hauls or mountains I think I would prefer the Full-size SUV. I only used the Treg for short trips to the boat ramp or from storage to the campground at the lake (less than 10 miles). It pulls the boat out of the water very nicely with the AWD system. I do not have air ride and the Max sagged the Treg a little more than I liked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boonejeepin; 12-30-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Boonejeepin, thanks for the reply and that is a great looking set-up. What year is your T-Reg? I was thinking I would need to add airbags to a T-Reg to get rid of the sag. I had to add them to my Durango.

Thanks, Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
    Boonejeepin, thanks for the reply and that is a great looking set-up. What year is your T-Reg? I was thinking I would need to add airbags to a T-Reg to get rid of the sag. I had to add them to my Durango.

Thanks, Robert
    The Treg is a 2014. This year did not come with air ride as far as I know. Let me know if you find an aftermarket airbag kit for the rear. Don’t really plan to tow the SE with the Treg but it’s good to have options if I was just towing short distances.

2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

IMO I would get the Yukon all day long over a VW. I’m really not impressed with VW’s lack of quality and plus that Yukon will tow more weight. It’s always better to have a more capable tow vehicle than one that’s at or above it’s limits.

Go with the Yukon. That 6.2 is a beast and reliable! I also have a Craz and with gear and kids the weight adds up quickly. You could also look at the Sequoia. The power train is absolutely bullet proof and will have no problem towing. I started towing mine with a Tundra. That motor is amazing but thirsty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not look at another Durango? I just test drove a citadel with the 5.7 and I really liked it (I'm actually a gmc guy) this one already had a load leveling rear too. I bet it would be pretty easy to find in your price point.
    2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315

Quote Originally Posted by schwan View Post
    Why not look at another Durango? I just test drove a citadel with the 5.7 and I really liked it (I'm actually a gmc guy) this one already had a load leveling rear too. I bet it would be pretty easy to find in your price point.
    Make sure to check out the gearing on these trucks, tow ratings can very wildly depending on gearing installed. A Durango could have a tow 5000 or 6500 or 9000.(these are just example numbers you gave to check the tags)
    Last edited by parrothd; 01-02-2020 at 12:03 AM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead