Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Tow vehicle question

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    so this is the hitch they install but advertise that the F150 can tow 13000 lbs but don't equip it to do so.
    Correct.

But the F150 3.5EB with 3.55 gear pulls my 8000# rig like a champ. Plenty of balls.

One knock on the F150 is you can tell how light it is. My SA pushes it pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 12-13-2019 at 03:31 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    so this is the hitch they install but advertise that the F150 can tow 13000 lbs but don't equip it to do so.
    ford has been doing this for years and not just the 150. our '99 f250 super duty has the same hitch and same ratings.... on a superduty.
    sad that our chevy 1500 with the z71 tow pack has a hitch that's rated at 12k.
    I am going to hazzard a guess that lawyers are the reason ford doesn't put a more robust sticker on the hitch on the truck. betting there was a lawsuit in the distant past that has not been forgotten.
    the reality is there are thousands of f150's running around with the 5000lb hitch regularly towing much more demanding loads and if it was causing accidents left and right, it would have made the news/interwebs. not saying to do so but just saying.....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    ford has been doing this for years and not just the 150. our '99 f250 super duty has the same hitch and same ratings.... on a superduty.
    sad that our chevy 1500 with the z71 tow pack has a hitch that's rated at 12k.
    I am going to hazzard a guess that lawyers are the reason ford doesn't put a more robust sticker on the hitch on the truck. betting there was a lawsuit in the distant past that has not been forgotten.
    the reality is there are thousands of f150's running around with the 5000lb hitch regularly towing much more demanding loads and if it was causing accidents left and right, it would have made the news/interwebs. not saying to do so but just saying.....
    My concern is simple, insurance company says boat is not covered as you pulled 8000# with a hitch that is rated for 5000#.

$180 hitch fixes that concern.

I personally can’t cover a six figure loss.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    My concern is simple, insurance company says boat is not covered as you pulled 8000# with a hitch that is rated for 5000#.

Did you replace your hitch? It looks like it involves removing bumper and doing some cutting to the brackets so you can remount the bumper after the new hitch is installed.
    2015 Yamaha 242 LS - Sold
    2018 SL 450

Quote Originally Posted by Mdavfx4 View Post
    Did you replace your hitch? It looks like it involves removing bumper and doing some cutting to the brackets so you can remount the bumper after the new hitch is installed.
    There are two options.

1) curt Makes one that fits around factory hitch.
    C14016
    Or

2) you need to either cut off factory receiver as it is integral to bumper assy. or replace with the non hitch bumper assy. Then you can install the Curt hitch without factory hitch option.
    C14017

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2019_Ford_F-150.htm

Last edited by larry_arizona; 12-13-2019 at 05:38 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Yup cut it and install the Curt C14017. That’s what I did and looks and performs great!
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    Yup cut it and install the Curt C14017. That’s what I did and looks and performs great!
    If I had to do mine again, I would cut the factory hitch off and use the C14017 too.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post

completely with ya larry...
    just saying that there are thousands of them running around doing towing duty with that factory hitch. would think if it was a bigger issue the webs would have stories of why to replace but there isn't a lot of info out there. see a few threads like this off and on talking about replacing but not much else.

frankly I never looked into it prior to a thread on here a while back. visual comparison(and I'm not an engineer) are that both my ford and chevy are mounted the exact same, same size bolts and metal looks to be the same thickness. the only discernible difference are the chevy has 2 "arms" per side holding up the square cross tubing while the ford has a single "arm" on each side(same as the curt).
    I still think this is more a case of ford lawyers and wanting to pass the buck. towing and accident ensues there are 2 things:
    -your at fault for towing beyond the stickered hitch from the factory
    -curt/install shop is at fault for cutting/replacing the factory hitch with something else.
    either way ford is off the hook.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Scary how many overload hitches.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I have owned several tow vehicles from the suburban to a few different silverados (gas and diesel) 1/2 and 3/4 ton. One suburban was modified with an LS3 stock trans pulling my '14 SA350. You would never know the boat was back there. The burb weighed as much as the boat and trailer if not more, so no pushing it around. The motor putt to the ground 450hp 500tq at the wheels. It did get 20mpg pulling the boat but required 93octane.

My 1/2 Silverados were pushed around by the '14 SA350. They never felt under powered to pull the boat but felt short on braking power and the being pushed around on curvy roads while driving around the lakes never made my wife comfortable. I've never had an issue with the fuel management systems. Mileage has always been in the low teens or single digits while towing. I can only imagine a twin turbo 6 sucking gas at highway speeds.

My 3/4tons one gas great pulling and stopping but sucked gas like we were having an economic crisis. The diesel pulled and stopped great and the fuel mileage is far better than gas. My deleted / tuned Duramax pulled the 14 SA350 to the tune of 20mpg. I now have a 19 Ram 2500 and will be pulling a 19 SL400 so I have no idea what the numbers will be.

What i do know if you don't want to get the pushed around feeling you need a vehicle that weighs close to the weight of what you are towing. If you want fuel mileage i don't think a twin turbo that requires high RPMs to make its power to be your choice as its going to suck gas pulling the boat down the highway. We looked at an SUV but nothing out there has a GVCR that will allow us to pull a heavy boat and all our stuff. When you boat/trailer residual fuel are ~8k and your max tow for most SUVs are 8k theres not much out there.

Towing isn't just tongue weight and tow rating, its also the payload. You load up your vehicle and it takes away from the overall maximum towing capacity by eating into your payload capacity. Its all the same.