Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Tow vehicle question

The 3.5 eco has very small turbos that make 400 ft.lbs torque at 2000 rpms and stays flat.

Big advantage over a NA V8.

It’s all about torque under the curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 12-13-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Torque gets objects moving.. HP is what makes them go fast like highway speed.

There are plenty of vidoes on YouTube showing the stock EcoBoost making 350tq at 3000rpms and roughly 290hp at 4000rpms. That torque will get you truck and boat moving, like Toyota pulling the space shuttle in the commercial. Torque will get you moving off the line it will not help you at highway speeds that takes HP and if you are making 290 at 4000 then you are going to be spending more for gas. Your truck will work harder to keep up with your requirement to run 70-80mph making only 290hp versus a V8 making well over 350hp.

In the end it doesn't really matter. If you like the ecoboost and truly if you are only pulling the boat a few times a year then you save money the rest of the year. I prefer the power and weight of the 3/4 ton. You have your preference and I have mine.

My preference for towing would absolutely be a 3/4 ton diesel, however, I would hate it as a daily driver.

1/2 tons for towing a 7-8k wakeboat are absolutely a compromise.

The EB still makes more/similar HP than NA V8 and start highway speeds and the 10speed Trans you are never over 2500rpm.

My 3.5 EB towing 8000# with 1000# of passengers and gear is right at max GVW for a half ton, I really would not want to tow more mass, and it gets 10mpg at 80mph.

Kinda pushing it I know, but a 3/4 ton is a miserable daily driver.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 12-14-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

"We looked at an SUV but nothing out there has a GVCR that will allow us to pull a heavy boat and all our stuff. When you boat/trailer residual fuel are ~8k and your max tow for most SUVs are 8k theres not much out there. "

Maybe SC should get in the SUV TB market. Sell 8 seater and boat as a matched pair! Loading up our truck for a long lake weekend with camping gear will definitely push us over the top for weight. My wife probably has 1500#'s of tents, cots and crap that I pack and set up every time we go out. Now we added the boat. At least I've got some time to figure out the best option for us. Thanks for all the feedback on this.
    Thanks - D

2020 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by NewbFam5 View Post
    "We looked at an SUV but nothing out there has a GVCR that will allow us to pull a heavy boat and all our stuff. When you boat/trailer residual fuel are ~8k and your max tow for most SUVs are 8k theres not much out there. "

Maybe SC should get in the SUV TB market. Sell 8 seater and boat as a matched pair! Loading up our truck for a long lake weekend with camping gear will definitely push us over the top for weight. My wife probably has 1500#'s of tents, cots and crap that I pack and set up every time we go out. Now we added the boat. At least I've got some time to figure out the best option for us. Thanks for all the feedback on this.
    You sir, understand the wakeboat dilemma.

Towing these things safely and within spec takes some thought.

As boats get heavier, half ton trucks get overloaded in a hurry.

I don’t believe any OEM makes a 3/4ton SUV anymore and zero 1/2 ton SUV’s currently can handle tow and GVW ratings for a Supra and full loaded truck. Moomba’s are still light enough though.

1/2 ton crew cabs can make it, but it’s right near the limit.

3/4 ton crew cabs are the robust option, but they ride like ass as a daily.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Even the Suburban 3500HD is a towing disaster. Only rated for 3000#

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthori...-suburban/amp/

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Even the Suburban 3500HD is a towing disaster. Only rated for 3000#

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthori...-suburban/amp/

I towed with an older 2500 Suburban 7.4L back in the day. Did fine. Drank a lot, but the boat I was towing was not close to the new Supras. That is all the truck was used for: pulling stuff.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    I towed with an older 2500 Suburban 7.4L back in the day. Did fine. Drank a lot, but the boat I was towing was not close to the new Supras. That is all the truck was used for: pulling stuff.
    If you had the 4.10 gear they were rated at 9500# in a burban.

I had a 97 2500 pick up with 7.4 and 4.10 and it was rated for 10k.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 12-16-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I was reading a while back that the 3.5 ecoboost engine was having timing chain and intercooler issues when constantly towing heavy. Is this still a thing? My shop says they do a few trucks a month with these issues from towing. But not sure if they are early versions or the more current iteration. Don't plan on getting rid of my 7.3 anytime soon, just curious.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    I was reading a while back that the 3.5 ecoboost engine was having timing chain and intercooler issues when constantly towing heavy. Is this still a thing? My shop says they do a few trucks a month with these issues from towing. But not sure if they are early versions or the more current iteration. Don't plan on getting rid of my 7.3 anytime soon, just curious.
    I haven’t had any issues yet, but then again, it is a Ford, so you never know.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan