Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery

Default Battery

What kind of secondary battery are you guys using for all your Audio Equipment.
    I just have the main boat battery now, (but do have the Perko switch)
    Will be adding another battery to support new stereo system this year

What year boat do you have and how big is your stereo system?

Many of the new models already have a switch, so depending on your dealer, at the time of prep, they decide what brand to install.

When I reworked by 2007 Supra system, I installed the:
    Blue-Sea Add-A-Battery ACR System.
    Two Deka Series AMG 27 batteries - replaced the orig one in the boat - Series 24 Interstate that lasted a long time
    Onboard Smart Charger
    Wet Sounds System - two Rev10s and six 650s with a JL Sub.

If the second battery is the "stereo battery", then go with a higher Ah (amp/hours) battery

For batteries, there has been a few threads on here and on other forums. You will get different options depending on who you ask:
    Optima
    Interstate
    Deka
    Everstart (wal-mart)
    Odyssey
    XS power
    etc
    2018 Supra SL400

Is your battery switch (likely a Blue Sea not a Perko if OEM) single bank ON/OFF or Dual Bank? Is there a dual-bank Charger?

Size of battery will depend on the potential current draw and how long you would want to spend on the hook with the engine off. A single group-24 deep-cycle will do fine for short periods at anchor, up to 4 pair of 6V golfcart batteries for an all day concert on the lake.

Battery Switch is not Factory. Was added. 13 Moomba lsv
    Sound System is following
    2 - 8" Kicker Towers
    Kicker 400 watt amp
    Rockford Fosgate 1200/1 amp
    Wetsounds 12xxx
    Will be adding a 200 watt amp for cabin speakers later on

Time radio would be on with out motor running would be a hour at most. (family doesn't let me rest much)

Link to the Battery Switch i have _ https://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

A group-29/31 wet cell marine deepcycle should do the trick.

I personally love the optima batteries. I like the idea of no water all sealed cell etc.

The debate between wet cell and AGM is certainly a worthwhile discussion. But I have 2 hangups about the optima brand. 1), for a house bank, they have the lowest Ah to $$$ ratio. So poor value for a house bank compared to other same sized wet cell and other AGM. 2) in a house bank setup where you might need to rely on shore charging to replenish the battery, the optima needs a different charge profile compared to other AGM and wet cells. In the above scenario, one might end up with 2 chargers, where as a single 2-bank on-board charger would do the job. One for the existing wet cell, one for the optima.

When upgrading the stereo system , I replaced my existing one and bought a new battery.

I knew the older Interstate had some life left in it, but when your spending bigger money on a stereo upgrade, why get cheap on the battery.
    Ended up I overcharged that darn thing and that was it for the Interstate.

As MLA said, Ah to the price. I did not know the Optima looked for different charging.
    2018 Supra SL400

I upgraded both my batteries to 31M: I’ve been running 2 VMAX Tank XTR31-135 12Volts 135AH Deep Cycle, XTREME AGM Battery. 265 min or reserve capacity each.

They’re expensive, but they’re with it! My stereo system pulls a ton of amp and this set up has never failed me.

I’m paranoid about running out of juice on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    I upgraded both my batteries to 31M: I’ve been running 2 VMAX Tank XTR31-135 12Volts 135AH Deep Cycle, XTREME AGM Battery. 265 min or reserve capacity each.

They’re expensive, but they’re with it! My stereo system pulls a ton of amp and this set up has never failed me.

I’m paranoid about running out of juice on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Dude 100%!

I’m runnin three Optima Red Tops for the stereo alone and a Marine Deep cycle for the engine.

I forget the name of the switch but as soon as my ignition switch is put into the “on” position, it connects all 4 batteries together to start. I like that.

Other wise the one battery is for engine only and completely independent of stereo power.
    2006 Moomba Outback V