Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Supra SE vs Makai

Do these boats have the exact same hull? Can you use setups SE owners use for makai? Do they make the same wake assuming you have the same power plant?

Not the same at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

As Larry has mentioned they are not the same hull, but similar in size and length. The SE has another 1000# dry weight over the Makai so that can make a big difference alone. Every hull makes a different wake/wave, but they should be similar if set up about the same. Power plant wont change your wake necessarily but allows for additional weight or altitude which will affect the wake. Feature wise there are a lot of differences but that comes at a price as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but needs to fit you wants and budget. We demoed a 2019 SE just to feel the size of it, but we are ordering a Makai as the SE is outside of our budget.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Big boats. Makai needs the add'l weight b/c it's lighter.

It's what fits your budget. Either way, tons of room for your peeps.
    2018 Supra SL400

Can you get as good of wake with the Makai as the SE?

I'm hoping so. Ask me next spring

Truthfully the only way to ever know is to ride behind both boats properly set up and test it for yourself, which is a hard thing to ever do before buying. Demos are great but they typically are not 100% dialed in as someone that has had one for 6 months. Everyone has different opinions and pictures help but never do any boat justice IMO. What are you looking for out of your new boat? What features are on your must have list? What is your budget? Are you looking at new, ordering or trying to find a used one? What is your skill level as well? Are you looking primarily at wakeboarding or both surfing and boarding?

Default Supra SE vs Makai

To a point the Makai should keep up, but the SE has more displacement potential.

SE max displacement is weight 13050#
    Makai max displacement weight 11700#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 12-02-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

If you are also going to surf with heavy ballast and a good size crew, I would recommend the 450 motor with the 1.76 trans/vdrive package in the Makai.

SE is standard with the 450 motor with the 1.76 trans/vdrive package for late 19s (half/half year) and standard on 2020s.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by mikeygp View Post
    Can you get as good of wake with the Makai as the SE?
    That's a matter of opinion. I would say ultimately, no. But, that's my opinion. They both are damn good.
    You will be running a buttload of Makai weight to get there.

Also: Surf system on SE is superior to the Flow 2.0. I would for sure go 3.0 on Makai if I were ordering one.

Well I ended up getting a Makai its a 2019 with the 400 motor. I ordered 1500# of Lead well its not really lead but steel shot bags. Is this enough? What is the best setup for this boat I want to keep the stock bags. This is my first wake board / surf boat. Coming from a glastron with a tower. So it will be a upgrade. Does anyone have a thread on there setup or videos?