Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Box anchors

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    Heard it doesn't do great in sand but this boat will never be on the coast lol.
    Does fine in the sand with a mellow current and not much wind. HOWEVER, if the wind kicks, even with an anchor buddy to help with the waves bouncing, it will break free. Ask me how I know
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

With the box anchors in sand, just throw out a longer line to prevent the popping free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    I use the anchor buddy if I moor the boat overnight: anchor bow out with a line run from a rear eye to shore. Relaxed state of the anchor buddy keeps the boat in deep water but I can pull in to knee deep water and board the swim platform.

I've never seen a need for it while anchoring to raft up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    I'm a newbie (truly) and have no idea about what you just said but it sounds smart, lol. I have not purchased an anchor yet but I was going to get a box anchor because from my basic understanding of physics, sorry Larry I'm a Chemist, it looks like it should work the best.

So, box anchor, anchor buddy and a line to shore with a shore something or other should cover all water based/water to shore based anchoring? Several different dock lines for docking (now I really sound stupid)??

I'm sure my dealer will help me out when I get the boat in a few months but any additional input from experience would be great.

Oh and I need some phenders, saw some black ballz recently but they are really big and need to be deflated when not in use. The old cylindrical dock bumpers look like they should be fine?
    Thanks - D

2020 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by NewbFam5 View Post
    I'm a newbie (truly) and have no idea about what you just said but it sounds smart, lol. I have not purchased an anchor yet but I was going to get a box anchor because from my basic understanding of physics, sorry Larry I'm a Chemist, it looks like it should work the best.
    Anchor buddies are just big bungee cords to help with mooring and keeping anchors set. Not really needed for boats rafting up for an afternoon.
    The folding box anchors are great to save on space.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/green...05_151_002_507
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by NewbFam5 View Post
    Oh and I need some phenders, saw some black ballz recently but they are really big and need to be deflated when not in use. The old cylindrical dock bumpers look like they should be fine?
    For Fenders, if you are rafting boat/boat, the black inflatables I have found to work best. Basically trying not to get the racks from getting tangled. There are some different companies that make them. People have also purchased children's bouncy-balls from Amazon. I have popped 1 using around unknown docks - nails or screws heads sticking out.

I still use the traditional cylindrical style-fenders (Taylor). Double-eye or Rope thru the middle. Always had good luck with those and keeping the boat away from the dock.

There are also models like the Mission Delta (mixed reviews) or Hull Huggers.

https://www.missionboatgear.com/products/sentry-fenders

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/hull...r-boat-fender/
    2018 Supra SL400