Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adding Subwoofer

Trying to design my Sub system for my boat for Winter Project
    Wanting 12" sub. I am new to marine applications. All i know is Car subwoofer's

Whats a good Sub/ Amp combo. Not wanting to spend 700$ on just a sub if i really don't have to.

I will be building a Custom box per Speaker Recommendations to go under Steering wheel in my 13 LSv
    Box will ported and be out of 3/4" Birch Plywood. Coated inside and out and sealed

I'm running a 12" WetSounds XXX sub off a WetSounds SYN-DX2.3 HP in a tuned custom ported box.

It's not the cheapest but it effing slams.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

You don’t have to get silly about this. What I did on my boat and both of my buddies boats was to buy a 12 inch truck subwoofer box, you know the ones that are thin. We then mounted that to the kick panel underneath the helm with some L-shaped brackets. You want to mount it so that it’s about an inch or two off the floor so if the floor gets wet it doesn’t soak into the box.

Personally I just bought a kicker subwoofer box with the sub already in it, and it runs off my 800.5 subwoofer channel and really kicks.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    You don’t have to get silly about this. What I did on my boat and both of my buddies boats was to buy a 12 inch truck subwoofer box, you know the ones that are thin. We then mounted that to the kick panel underneath the helm with some L-shaped brackets. You want to mount it so that it’s about an inch or two off the floor so if the floor gets wet it doesn’t soak into the box.

Personally I just bought a kicker subwoofer box with the sub already in it, and it runs off my 800.5 subwoofer channel and really kicks.
    I'm sure it sounds great Stazi but we're talking apples and oranges when it comes to decibels & SPL.

I'm a basshead and will take all I can get....my suggestion might be overkill for the OP and his budget but like many have learned, things can sound underwhelming once out on the water.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

I agree with rc. spend a chunk and get a good sub. in the open air boat you want something that can take a beating.

my opinion fwiw... have had 2 boats with jl 12w6's and love that sub. current boat has a 13w7 and it's overkill but man does it pound however the box size is stupid large for a boat. I'd scale back to a 12w6 in a heartbeat...
    the tow rig has a pair of sundown 10's. first time using them and I will say they are amazing but they don't sound quite as musical as the jl's.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Was originally looking at a sundown, but worried about it not being a marine sub

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut80 View Post
    Was originally looking at a sundown, but worried about it not being a marine sub
    You should be. I would steer clear of any woofer that does not have at least a synthetic cone. Any with a paper based (look for terms like hybrid, cellulose or laminated) cone, is not going to do well in the humid marine environment. Other places to look for are a composite basket and synthetic spider, especially in a ported enclosure as it will have ambient air in side the enclosure, like the outside.

I would also stuck to the plan of building a custom box, Better fit as well as it can be built for the marine environment. Automotive boxed will begin to show signs of moisture in season #2. The bare MDF under the moisture attracting carpet, will not last. Ive pulled some out that were held together by the carpet.

Is that $700 just the woofer budget, or the total budget? Either way, there are some solid options. a kicker L712 and KXA800.1 would be a shade over $700 (@ full retail) and would be an 800 watt rms setup. or bump up to the KXMA1200.1 for inside of $1K. The Wet sounds Revo-12HP and HTX-1 for inside if $1K for a 600W rms setup.

Talked to the wife. She is allowing me to put my budget for sub and amp to 1200

Was looking at exile sub. They are 600$ and can get it 10% off on wakemakers

Then will just need to locate an amp. Would love to find one at a store doing Black Friday sale

You should be. I would steer clear of any woofer that does not have at least a synthetic cone. Any with a paper based (look for terms like hybrid, cellulose or laminated) cone, is not going to do well in the humid marine environment
    Was looking at exile sub.
    This will rub some the wrong way, but the big 12 is a $200 woofer under other labels, as its an open-tooling woofer built for a number of others. Also, its exactly what I described to steer clear of.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-coil--295-512

Gotcha. Well I will look into other.

Not trying to steer away from wet sounds. Just trying to open my options is all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk