Default Winter start up and hot starter

Hey guys
    I took the outback out of the garage and started it up to run some water through it. I started to get smoke from the engine bay and it turns out it was coming from the starter. It melted the blower pipe which was resting against it.
    Before i noticed this i kicked it into gear and when i went back into neutral there was a horrific high pitch grind noise which came from that area on the engine bay.
    In hind site is it sounded like this noise came from the starter? Is this possible if the gear doesn't disengage?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom08 View Post
    Hey guys
    I took the outback out of the garage and started it up to run some water through it. I started to get smoke from the engine bay and it turns out it was coming from the starter. It melted the blower pipe which was resting against it.
    Before i noticed this i kicked it into gear and when i went back into neutral there was a horrific high pitch grind noise which came from that area on the engine bay.
    In hind site is it sounded like this noise came from the starter? Is this possible if the gear doesn't disengage?

I tried it again and it didnt smoke anymore.... but now i am unsure

Well that can happen when the starter doesn’t disengage. This will turn your starter into a generator and back feed your batteries. Watch the voltage the next time you run it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinesurgeon View Post
    Well that can happen when the starter doesn’t disengage. This will turn your starter into a generator and back feed your batteries. Watch the voltage the next time you run it.

Thanks for the info. I will monitor it and run it though out the off season and watch for any further issues. Should the starter get somewhat warm to the touch?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom08 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will monitor it and run it though out the off season and watch for any further issues. Should the starter get somewhat warm to the touch?
    The starter draws more energy than anything else so it does get a little warm when you crank however once it disengages it will cool down relatively given its proximity to the exhaust. It really sounds like your solenoid didn’t disengage and you may want to replace it more as preventive maintenance if anything else.