Default Engine Oil Change Intervals

An FYI for anyone curious about oil change intervals. I usually take some oil samples periodically so I know my oil change intervals are acceptable. Below is a used oil analysis from my 2013 LSV with the 345 surf engine. This sample had 82 hours on it. This was Rotella T5 synthetic blend. My next report will be with T6 full synthetic. Basically, the report says this interval is OK going forward assuming fuel and wear does not worsen in future testing.

2013 Mobius LSV
    -345 Surf-

I use Rotella T6 5W/40 in my 2005 LSV and my 2012 Sea-Doo. Great oil and always on the shelf at Walmart.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

I usually use Mobil 1 in my vehicle engines but I haven't found it available in synthetic 15w/40 so I use Rotella in the boat. I'm excited to see the UOA of the T6 compared to the T5. I'll post that at some point in the future. I haven't sent in the sample yet.
    2013 Mobius LSV
    -345 Surf-

I use Rotella 15W40 in my 06. Indmar recommends changing the oil at 50 hours. Well this boat was new to me and I changed it at 53 hours and it was very black. I read an article where Indmar now recommends changing the oil at 35 hours if you do a lot of surfing and pulling heavy loads. We surf 90% of the time so I’ll start changing at 35 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Indmar recommends changing at 35 hrs for surfing and wakeboarding or high loads but that is unnecessary with advanced oils, IMO. Maybe that is true for conventional oils. Most of what I use the boat for is surfing and wakeboarding and I have a good report at 82 hours with a synthetic blend. Results may not be the same for everyone depending on the condition of the engine and how it was previously maintained. I wouldn't be afraid to put 100 hours on the intervals, especially with a full synthetic. I ended up using the rest of the T5 I had on the shelf in my oil change this year so the T6 report will have to wait another year.
    2013 Mobius LSV
    -345 Surf-

Quote Originally Posted by license to ill View Post
    I know Indmar recommends changing at 35 hrs for surfing and wakeboarding or high loads but that is unnecessary with advanced oils, IMO. Maybe that is true for conventional oils. Most of what I use the boat for is surfing and wakeboarding and I have a good report at 82 hours with a synthetic blend. Results may not be the same for everyone depending on the condition of the engine and how it was previously maintained. I wouldn't be afraid to put 100 hours on the intervals, especially with a full synthetic. I ended up using the rest of the T5 I had on the shelf in my oil change this year so the T6 report will have to wait another year.
    Good data. Thanks for the post.
    2018 Supra SL400