Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ok, again, that guy was speaking of WATER speed, NOT Boat Speed.

Let's start simple.

GPS does not care WHAT is under you. It measures WHERE you are in relation to orbiting sattelites. Your position is triangulated by 3 of them, a 4th used for error correction and altitude. As your POSITION in space changes, so does the rate at which the GPS receiver determines your speed. Again, not caring if you are on water, gravel, sand, or lemon creme pie filling !!!! It also does not care if you are at 1 foot or 60 feet in the air - forward speed is forward speed. Take your hand-held GPS into the cockpit and look - it does not care if there is a headwind or not - it will give true forward progress "speed".

GPS does not measure ground speed as much as it does not measure pie filling speed. The GPS recievers make the calculations based soley on the satellites.

BUILT-IN AUTOMOTIVE GPS is DIFFERENT! It uses additional sensors in the wheels, the steering wheel, etc, to work when small changes occur that may not be picked up by the gps as a change(as in going around a corner) - GPS would see you moving forward at an angle, the auto gps says "no, they turned the wheel, so we are now headed 90 degrees from our previous position 3 seconds ago. This is why built-in auto gps units are expensive, and hand-helds are not - they are nowhere near as good for going around small roads, downtown, etc.

Forward progress is forward progress - if it requires more engine rpm or horsepower to make the boat go that speed - then fine, THAT is what is effected, the engine speed, but NOT the gps location in space and therefore NOT the GPS speed.

What he is speaking of is "water speed." What you as a skier/boarder "FEEL." Like I said the first time, if you want exactly 20mph of water under your board, THEN you will need to compensate for the relative water speed. A simple paddlewheel hookup as an add-on can take care of that, I'm sure it will be a 2.0 upgrade!

I hope this helps, I can draw picutures if you need me too.

-Joe

You made it perfectly clear. Thanks for your help.

Wake differance will bu huge if you boat on water where is a lot of current and it is all about the wake or not?
    Going 23 mph downstream gives a different wake then 23 mph upstream.
    So it is all about speed, ballast, and what kind of water you are on (deep/ shallow).
    That is why i think speed control is only a little help to get the best wake.

Give advice because i'am only a beginner who's waiting for his new toy(LSV 07) to arrive in may.
    For example what speed is mostly ussed for starters?

Quote Originally Posted by edwindenijs
    Wake differance will bu huge if you boat on water where is a lot of current and it is all about the wake or not?
    Going 23 mph downstream gives a different wake then 23 mph upstream.
    So it is all about speed, ballast, and what kind of water you are on (deep/ shallow).
    That is why i think speed control is only a little help to get the best wake.

Give advice because i'am only a beginner who's waiting for his new toy(LSV 07) to arrive in may.
    For example what speed is mostly ussed for starters?
    If you are new to wakeboarding, go buy "The Book". Its like $99-110 online.
    DVD one walks through how to drive properly, how to weight your boat, gear, safety, etc.

Now, speeds:
    It largely depends on your weight. The greater your weight, the faster you need to go for the water to "harden" up., ie, keep your flab dry.

For a 200lb man, 17-20 is a nice starting number.
    Won't hurt as bad when you fall.
    Mistakes don't escalate as quickly.

As you get better, you will start pushing up to the 24-25 range.

Thanks,
    thats what i call good advice!