Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Backing trailer up hill w/surge breaks

Is there a way to disengage surge breaks? My barn has the slightest incline when I back my boat up to store it for the winter. B/c it is going up hill, the surge breaks come on. I was able to put a nut on each side of the surge mechanism which stopped the surge break from engaging. Is there an easier way to unhook the surge breaks?

You need a surge brake lockout key.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UH6DDA..._2jmUDb8DKZX3M
    2019 Moomba Craz - Autowake, 3600lb ballast + 400# lead,OJ 945
    2015 Monterey 204FSX sold

Do you not have the reverse lockout solenoid?

When you put it in reverse, it should power the solenoid to release the surge brakes.

The lockout key is the fix if your solenoid goes bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

follow the link that bteeter sent but otherwise you can use a nickel. we always kept a few of them in the truck with my last 2 boats as neither had the lockout solenoid.

it was an option for some trailer vendors in years past and dealers that ordered spec boats sometimes didn't check the box for the 5th wire.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Is the trailer harness 4 pin or 5 pin? 4 pin needs a manual lockout like linked above. Just an FYI, a 9/16 or 14MM shallow socket are safer then a nickle. But you may need to tape the socket in place. 5 pin has the 5th pin that gets 12V from the truck's reverse lights. Energizes the solenoid to lock out the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Is the trailer harness 4 pin or 5 pin? 4 pin needs a manual lockout like linked above. Just an FYI, a 9/16 or 14MM shallow socket are safer then a nickle. But you may need to tape the socket in place. 5 pin has the 5th pin that gets 12V from the truck's reverse lights. Energizes the solenoid to lock out the brakes.
    I have the 7 pin connector, but it doesn't lock out the brakes. Had to use the lockout key that came with the boat.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    I have the 7 pin connector, but it doesn't lock out the brakes. Had to use the lockout key that came with the boat.
    Sounds like you have the round 7 cavity connector. In this case, only 5 pins are used for the trailer harness. Ive not come across a round 7 with only 4 pins active. So id say your trailer has the electric lockout solenoid.

I would google the pin-out and check the proper revers pin for voltage, with the truck in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Aondion View Post
    Is there a way to disengage surge breaks? My barn has the slightest incline when I back my boat up to store it for the winter. B/c it is going up hill, the surge breaks come on. I was able to put a nut on each side of the surge mechanism which stopped the surge break from engaging. Is there an easier way to unhook the surge breaks?
    This really depends on the type of brakes you have. Disk or drum? What style actuator? If it’s a UFP with disk brakes then there are several different types of lock out keys you can purchase. If you have a reverse solenoid it must not be working. If you have a UFP but doesn’t have a solenoid then you can add one. It’s convenient for backing up. If you have drum brakes then you can buy the drums that won’t engage in reverse, no need to run a solenoid or lockout key with a drum set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can also check the fuse in your truck. I have basically a brand new truck and the first time i hooked up my mondo the brakes went on instantly in reverse. Replaced the fuse and it works.

But like other mention, just get the lock out key for these types of emergencies.
    2019 Mondo

The other trick is to flip the connector 180 degrees when you plug it into the trailer harness and turn on your vehicle headlights.......I believe this provides power to that 5th pin to release the brakes as well.

Of course you won't have brake lights on the trailer so use with caution.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...