Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

WD-40 and a paint can opener pops it right out.
    2018 Moomba Mojo

First year owning the boat so replaced mine this fall...couldn’t get the impeller slipped out so unbolted the entire pump (3 Allen bolts on engine pulley and 1 on the “holder”)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also found removing the entire pump easier and allows more room to get a grease gun on the rudder zerk fitting. I use 303 to free the impeller, coat it in Vaseline and put it in a zip lock for the winter.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

coat it in Vaseline and put it in a zip lock for the winter.
    I would highly advise against coating an impeller in a petroleum based grease. if you feel the need to coat it in anything, say to keep it from "drying out", for storage, use 100% silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    I would highly advise against coating an impeller in a petroleum based grease. if you feel the need to coat it in anything, say to keep it from "drying out", for storage, use 100% silicone.
    I think when you buy the ballast impeller kits they come with a small tube of glycerin grease, but I do not recall ever viewing that in a big box store, but you can find silicone multi purpose water repellent grease.
    2018 Supra SL400

I've used both Vaseline and silicone grease and didn't see any difference in impeller life. Main benefit of removing the impeller from the pump is to relax the fins.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    I think when you buy the ballast impeller kits they come with a small tube of glycerin grease, but I do not recall ever viewing that in a big box store, but you can find silicone multi purpose water repellent grease.
    Likely do, for the initial installation. But most would likely not have any left for coating and storing a removed impeller at the end of season.

Quote Originally Posted by VA LSV View Post
    I've used both Vaseline and silicone grease and didn't see any difference in impeller life. Main benefit of removing the impeller from the pump is to relax the fins.
    I understand the thoughts for pulling it. The concern is that petroleum based products can deteriorate and swell the impeller material, if its not designed for constant contact with that type of grease.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    I understand the thoughts for pulling it. The concern is that petroleum based products can deteriorate and swell the impeller material, if its not designed for constant contact with that type of grease.
    Been doing it this way for 14 seasons with no swelling or deterioration.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Remove impeller, coat with a thin film of Vaseline and store in an airtight bag is part of the winter layup procedure in the Indmar manual that came with my boat.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI