Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pull out old impeller with an impeller puller, saves a lot of cussing. Take the old one out coat in Vaseline/silicon spray insert it into a ziploc bag and put it in your glove box with a new seal in case you have a failure on the water. Take the one that was in the glove box and put it on a shelf to show how many you have changed. I will never understand why you would try to save $40 on an impeller that is the heart of a cooling system on a boat that you will expect to run perfectly all summer. I guarantee most of us spend more than that on the first Beer run of the summer. Put a new one in EVERY year and pinch pennies somewhere else.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Quote Originally Posted by JesseC View Post
    Put a new one in EVERY year and pinch pennies somewhere else.
    every other year for me

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

I would go by hours versus seasons. I average about 40 hours a season, so I changed mine after season 2.

If I was running 200 hours per season, I would do it annually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I would go by hours versus seasons. I average about 40 hours a season, so I changed mine after season 2.

For sure

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post

Only way I would do this is if you pull it out at the end of the season and re-install at the beginning of the next. I still prefer to put in a new one every season. I have had one rip a fin off because it was left in all winter and run again in the summer (run hours were less than 50 for 2 seasons). After I found that, I replace it every season, seams silly to pull it out only to put a used one back in. $40 impeller can save a $60K to well over $100K boats.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I inspected the impeller when winterizing and most times they lasted three seasons.i carried a spare impeller as everyone should do anyway. If you had a catastrophic failure of the impeller on the water (very low probability), you need to know that you can still run the boat on plane to get back to your launch site. The impeller does nothing when the hydrostatic pressure is high such as being on plane.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I use a puller, remove it for winter and use it one more season. After two summers it gets replaced.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

If you guys are removing or inspecting your impeller each season, you really need to install a new crush gasket to prevent any sort of leaks as those are 1 time use gaskets. Just a heads up to keep an eye on it.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Replace mine every year which is about 100 hours.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by JesseC View Post
    Only way I would do this is if you pull it out at the end of the season and re-install at the beginning of the next. I still prefer to put in a new one every season. I have had one rip a fin off because it was left in all winter and run again in the summer (run hours were less than 50 for 2 seasons). After I found that, I replace it every season, seams silly to pull it out only to put a used one back in. $40 impeller can save a $60K to well over $100K boats.
    Agreed. When I was a kid we had an impeller disintegrate. It took 2-3 trips before all of the rubber pieces were flushed out. The boat overheated for at least two trips. It is a cheap piece of mind for me. Let’s face it. If we can afford these boats, we can afford a $40 impeller.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold