Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Proper way to lift trailer for winter storage?

Just double checking what I have done is OK. I put jack stands in between the tires where the springs meet. Ive lifted it just enough to take pressure off tires. Is this something that is common practice? Just making sure I'm not potentially screwing up something.
    '18 mojo

I haven't heard of many people lifting their trailer for winter storage. I just make sure my tires are inflated properly ( maybe a little over inflated). You really don't need to do much else. If you wanted to jack it up and turn the tires a half rotation once or twice over the winter you could i guess.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

This is just OCD IMO. J/K, but todays trailers and tires don't need to be jacked up. If you really want, and have enough room, just roll the trailer up 2 feet for a month, then back for a month etc...
    2019 Mondo

I"ve never done it in 13 years. I do make sure that I have padding or carpet under them so they are not sitting directly on concrete. needed? no. make me feel better? yes.
    in wisconsin I typically took the boat to the storage building mid september and got it back mid-april so figure 7 months in storage. the first outing you can feel the tires out of round but a 5 or 10 mile drive heats them up and they seem to go back.

and similar to scott, I pump the tires up from their recommended 55 to around 65 and by the end of storage they seem to be back in the 50's.
    funny tho the motorcycle I do move it every month. not sure why and when I had my old sportbike I kept it on stands all winter(mostly because I had them).
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

This is probably my OCD as well, but I was going to jack the trailer up this year. I was going to put 4 jack stands under the trailer frame itself. I have never done it in the past, but I also replace tires every 5th year. I got tired of breaking belts and blowing tires on the highway. Maybe it is my shit luck, but I am like a freakin NASCAR pit crew now if I have tire problems. I keep a jack and breaker bar at the end of my truck bed! . The last thing I want is a black tire streak down the side of a $90k boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

No need for a jack to change a tire on a tandem axle trailer when you have one of these. When you get a flat you can literally change it in under 3-4 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T...ef_=ast_bbp_dp

Quote Originally Posted by jcarter20 View Post
    This is probably my OCD as well, but I was going to jack the trailer up this year. I was going to put 4 jack stands under the trailer frame itself. I have never done it in the past, but I also replace tires every 5th year. I got tired of breaking belts and blowing tires on the highway. Maybe it is my shit luck, but I am like a freakin NASCAR pit crew now if I have tire problems. I keep a jack and breaker bar at the end of my truck bed! . The last thing I want is a black tire streak down the side of a $90k boat.

2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

ok since we are chatting trailers..Does anyone rotate the tires on a tandem wheel trailer ??
    2008 Moomba LSV, Gravity III, 1100 port.750 in goofy side rear,400 center,650 IBS everything else stock.....Home lake... Glennifer Lake, Alberta Canada...

Quote Originally Posted by psycho-heico View Post
    ok since we are chatting trailers..Does anyone rotate the tires on a tandem wheel trailer ??
    Not a bad idea to even out wear but may not be necessary based on miles traveled.

2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Default Proper way to lift trailer for winter storage?

I can’t imagine tandem axle trailer tires wear any different.

Only reason you rotate on a car/truck is the accelerated wear on the fronts due to turning/cornering.

I suppose you can measure tread depth and in fronts or rears are wearing faster, then rotate.

If tread depth is same, leave them be.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

my experience unless you travel a ton you will rot them out before you wear them out. typical tire is recommended to replace at 5-7 years. can't imagine there are a lot that are towing 30,000 miles in 5 years.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten