Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Adding amp/speakers to existing setup

Trying to get my ducks in a row b4 I pull the trigger on tower speakers. This is my first install of any type of audio equipment.

1. The boat was NOT "prewired for tower speakers with amp" I will be trying to figure out what wires do what in the tower. I have found two quick connect looking devices behind the observer's seat port side. I'm assuming these are for connection to the amp I will be adding? Any ideas on which color wires I should be looking for in the tower to connect speakers to?

2. When adding the amp I will need a fuse between the amp and battery on the hot side correct? Where will the wire from the amp to the head unit plug in at the head unit? I have a USB looking connection under the helm is this it?

3. Will it automatically pull up as zone 2 when I plug into the head unit or will something need to be done?

4. I like the ease of setting the gain on the kicker amp but I have heard that wetsound amps dont need to be set. Is this correct? Also is there an amp that can accomadate 6 incabin speakers a sub and 2 towers without sacrificing quality of a 2 amp setup? What is the amp that's reccomended for this?

I'm sure more questions will come up but this is all I can think of now. Thanks!
    Last edited by Surgical_ass; 10-22-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    '18 mojo

As to #1, to clearly state the boat was not pre-wired. So what the wires and colors you are asking about, would not be there. Not pre-wired, would mean one would need to fish wire through the tower from the amp area to the speaker wire holes, run amp power cables with circuit protection, turn-on circuit and signal cables.

#2 Yes, the new amp's main B+ needs proper circuit protection a its point of termination. Amperage and actual point of termination may very. Which wire from amp to head? Turn-on or RCA?

#3 Depends on the head unit, and where you connect the RCA. if you do not already see "Zone-2" in the volume menu, its not going to come up simply by making a connection.

#4. No, that is not correct about the gain. EVERY amp needs to have the gain set. An 8 chnl amp can, BUT, you are going to likely have low wattage available for a pair of tower speakers. Though I suggest at least 2 amps for 3 pair of in-boats, woofer and tower pods, id like to know what tower speakers, woofer and your goals, before making a final call.

Yes, you will have lots more questions. Bet advice, rely on your audio equipment source, for all the design, setup and tuning details. They should be able to help you with proper amp/driver paring, proper cabling and circuit protection, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    As to #1, to clearly state the boat was not pre-wired. So what the wires and colors you are asking about, would not be there. Not pre-wired, would mean one would need to fish wire through the tower from the amp area to the speaker wire holes, run amp power cables with circuit protection, turn-on circuit and signal cables.

#2 Yes, the new amp's main B+ needs proper circuit protection a its point of termination. Amperage and actual point of termination may very. Which wire from amp to head? Turn-on or RCA?

#3 Depends on the head unit, and where you connect the RCA. if you do not already see "Zone-2" in the volume menu, its not going to come up simply by making a connection.

#4. No, that is not correct about the gain. EVERY amp needs to have the gain set. An 8 chnl amp can, BUT, you are going to likely have low wattage available for a pair of tower speakers. Though I suggest at least 2 amps for 3 pair of in-boats, woofer and tower pods, id like to know what tower speakers, woofer and your goals, before making a final call.

Yes, you will have lots more questions. Bet advice, rely on your audio equipment source, for all the design, setup and tuning details. They should be able to help you with proper amp/driver paring, proper cabling and circuit protection, etc.
    Okay, got another question. I'm looking to add 2 rev 10's. I will need an amp to drive these. They are the only thing I ever plan to add. What size amp should I be looking at to drive these? Looking to stick with kicker or wet sound. Thanks!
    '18 mojo

For a single pair of Rev-10, The Wet Sounds Syn-DX4 is a great option. Best option is the SDX-2. Out of the Kicker line up, I would go with a pair of KXMA400.2 (1 for each pod), or the KXMA1200.2. The 2 chnl amps will allow for a 2nd pair ot be added. Wire for that the first time, and its nearly plug-n-play.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    For a single pair of Rev-10, The Wet Sounds Syn-DX4 is a great option. Best option is the SDX-2. Out of the Kicker line up, I would go with a pair of KXMA400.2 (1 for each pod), or the KXMA1200.2. The 2 chnl amps will allow for a 2nd pair ot be added. Wire for that the first time, and its nearly plug-n-play.
    Sweet I will check those out thank you! Do you by chance know of any online audio retailers who are going to be running Black Friday specials or Cyber Monday?
    '18 mojo

Wet Sounds direct has 20% and free shipping, but I would also check with Earmark Marine in TX. They are an Authorized internet dealer and also support their customers after the sale. You get more then just the product you paid for.

Kicker is also offering some consumer level sales, but not sure of the specifics.

Ive tracked down the wires from the tower. Qiestions about the tower wires.
    1. The wires I have traced down the port side end behind the seat right beside the Observer pull up back rest. They have grey Square quick connects on the end of two groups of four wires. Are there wire kits (female) that I can buy to connect to these? I know thats a terrible description but I'm assuming someone will know what I'm talking about.

2. The wire coming out of the tower for the speaker. I'm assuming that the speakers will have a clean pig tail coming out that I will do an end to end connection and tuck back into the tower?

Getting closer! Thanks!
    '18 mojo

They have grey Square quick connects on the end of two groups of four wires
    IF these are the speaker wires, those connectors are for quick assembly at the factory when building the boat. The factory likely does not install the other half that runs from the base of the tower to the amp area, if the boat is not ordered with a tower speaker option. You could possibly get this harness with the pre-assembled connectors on it, but there is no need to incur that cost. The connector serves no purpose but for fast assembly down the line. In reality, there is a one in million need to ever "need" to make use of that disconnect again.

I'm assuming that the speakers will have a clean pig tail coming out
    This would depend on the actual speaker model you choose.

Ive looked around online and found a similar looking connector I'll give it a shot. If this dosent work I'm assuming the thing to do would be to do a end to end splice connection? The location the wires are in will make it incredibly difficult to wire strip and splice

The speakers would be rev 10s
    '18 mojo

Your moomba dealer may be able to tell you what style connectors they are and the pins required.