Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hydraulic suck gate

So being a DIYer a thought occurred to me the other day, couldn’t you make a suckgate with a hydraulic arm that you could plug into the 12 volt cigarette lighter with a switch so you could deploy it automatically? Put one on each side and that way do hot swaps so you can switch sides? I am goofy and half of my friends are and the other half are normal and I get tired of swapping it back and forth. You could still have it attached with suction cups, and then just run the hydraulic line up over the edge. Anyone ever done that?

Any device you can buy pre-made that is similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basically a copy of surfgate on suctioned on. would suction cups hold the weight that would be needed to make it work? you would have to use electric actuators as hydraulic would require lines ran to a reservoir or the reservoir on the attachment. again a weight factor.

I would suspect that once you are all done costs would not be too far off from fabbing up your own version of GSA that is already tried and true proven.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I would suspect that once you are all done costs would not be too far off from fabbing up your own version of GSA that is already tried and true proven.
    Yep, done it. $750-1000 depending how fancy you want to get.

OP's idea sounds like a lot of work for something that probably wouldn't work that well, especially because it would be sticking so far out the non-surf side when not deployed, creating drag and interfering with the delayed convergence. Better off making your own surfgate or tab system permanently mounted. Probably less fab work, too.
    2019 Supra SL450

Agree. Tab system for sure.
    2018 Supra SL400

I see the full 4000 dollar wake surf system on wakeshapers and I would love to have that but, it’s a lotta money. Where can you buy the actuators from? Anybody selling the tabs?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Bowen View Post
    I see the full 4000 dollar wake surf system on wakeshapers and I would love to have that but, it’s a lotta money. Where can you buy the actuators from? Anybody selling the tabs?

If you can make the hydraulic suckgate, you'll have no issues making the tabs. Honestly, they can be made with a circular saw (I did it).

Look up my thread about my homemade surf system on wakegarage.com.

You can get actuators from all over the web. Figure out whether you want long or short throw, and order away.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    If you can make the hydraulic suckgate, you'll have no issues making the tabs. Honestly, they can be made with a circular saw (I did it).

Look up my thread about my homemade surf system on wakegarage.com.

You can get actuators from all over the web. Figure out whether you want long or short throw, and order away.
    I’ve looked over your post, wow, that is definitely doable. Do you have the cad files for the tabs still, And would you share it? How fast are you able to swap sides while surfing? Can you jump the wake and pretty much instantly have it clean up?

I’ve looked over your post, wow, that is definitely doable. Do you have the cad files for the tabs still, And would you share it? How fast are you able to swap sides while surfing? Can you jump the wake and pretty much instantly have it clean up?

I can't share the file for the tabs, because they're basically a copy of GSA tabs. They have a patent, so I'd rather not mess with that. The smaller silver tabs worked basically just as well and were made with a circular saw.

The transfer was about 3 seconds. The actuators took 4 seconds to fully extend or retract, but the tabs were only about halfway down for the best wave.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    I can't share the file for the tabs, because they're basically a copy of GSA tabs. They have a patent, so I'd rather not mess with that. The smaller silver tabs worked basically just as well and were made with a circular saw.

The transfer was about 3 seconds. The actuators took 4 seconds to fully extend or retract, but the tabs were only about halfway down for the best wave.
    Ahh, yeah don’t want to get in trouble for patent infringement.

I saw the attractive thing about the GSA system is that you can make adjustments with a dial, did you ever upgrade yours to that? I was reading you had different holes for different degrees, but is there an easier way to do it? Or is it something you set once and then forget about it?

Ahh, yeah don’t want to get in trouble for patent infringement.

I saw the attractive thing about the GSA system is that you can make adjustments with a dial, did you ever upgrade yours to that? I was reading you had different holes for different degrees, but is there an easier way to do it? Or is it something you set once and then forget about it?

A guy was going to make me a controller that actually has a lot more features than the GSA controller, but he has flaked on me so far.

I just used trim tab switches, and worked out that about a 2-1/2 count got me really close to the best deployment angle. If I did it over again without a controller I'd get the trim tab switches with the LED indicators. The Wakelogic controller is pretty good, but a little overpriced considering how difficult it is to make adjustments. You can also buy the controller direct from GSA, but it's not cheap, over $1500 if I recall correctly.

Again, if I were to do it again, I'd make the lower actuator mounts with a single hole, and mount them to the tabs at the desired max angle to begin with. I made mine with 18° down angle, which is way too much. 10° is the max I'd do. When I did my testing, I left the tab deployed at the angle that made the best wave, and measured the angle. It was only 5° down. Of course that only applies to the tabs I made. For some reason, the Moomba Flow tabs at 100% deploy are about 20° down.
    Last edited by Shoebox; 10-18-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    2019 Supra SL450