Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need tips on first boat purchase

So I finally got the "OK" from the wife to buy my first boat. I'm going to the boat show in April to get it.

What I need are all the "ins and outs" of buying a boat. Especially what are the Must Haves as far as options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also from reading some of the posts the Outback V seems to be a good "starter boat". Is it really necessary to have a starter boat? Would it be a mistake to go with a bigger boat as my first one? Also If I go with the V, will I down the road wish I had gone with a bigger boat?

I have alot of questions and your help is needed.

Thanks

we have a 2003 lsv mobius-basically same boat as new outback v

we have very much enjoyed this boat
    kinda not to big not to small size
    but we normally dont have a lot of people with us
    but have had 8 in it for the day a was not cramped feeling
    lots of storage

options i would recomend
    wake plate
    tower
    bimini top
    stereo
    perfect pass is real popular but i dont have-but im a
    biginer wakeboarder with bad ankles and knees

i would buy again if i ever get rid of mine

stacy

ps if your in florda come to the jamboree

Default Re: Need tips on first boat purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Pike
    Is it really necessary to have a starter boat? Would it be a mistake to go with a bigger boat as my first one? Also If I go with the V, will I down the road wish I had gone with a bigger boat?
    1. Buy the boat you want to have in 3 years.
    Most first time buyers buy too small or underpowered (power won't be an issue with Moomba!) and tend to hate their purchase or trade in in that time period. (please dont make me look up the research in Motorboating, or Boating, but its a recuring theme)

2. Test drive all the boats you might be interested in.

3. Take the family and your gear. Throw the cooler and bags in. See if they take up floor space. Does the gear actually fit in the storage spaces? Put the kids in the seats.

4. If money is the issue, refer to #1. You may need to wait.

the Outback V is a great boat for the price, the new LSV is freaking sweet, it's all about money. What are you going to be using the boat for, wakeboarding, skiing, tubing, just hanging out, surfing? How big is your family and how many people do you anticipate will be on your boat on a regular basis? That's the most important things to take into consideration. You want to comfortable while out on the lake. As for options that are a must, I say the extended warranty, boat cover, board racks, bimini, ballast, wake plate, perfect pass, and stereo. The heater and hot water shower would be nice too depending on whre you live.
    good luck

Default Re: Need tips on first boat purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-

4. If money is the issue, refer to #1. You may need to wait.
    Ok, that was the official speal.

Buy the boat you can afford, have fun, take the trade in hit (won't be as bad as car or that Sea Ray your buddy bought) when you outgrow the one you got.

Do keep the other things in mind but remember this is a luxury purchase and enjoy it.

Go for the boat that meets your needs. Going to a new starter boat will cost you $$ for taxes, tags and depreciation coming off the showroom floor. This forum is great for getting feedback for a boat that meets your needs. You just need to explain what your looking for and these people will lead you in the right direction. Years ago, I had the boat in mind but it wasn't but five years ago that I had the means to get it. Fortunately, I'm not too old to enjoy it. If you have the means to get a boat of your choice, go for the one you want and enjoy it for a long time.

Default Thanks

All very helpfull answers, if anyone else has an opinion feel free to express it.

I guess in responce to the question of what I am looking for...I want to wakeboard, pull a tube for all the girls that are too scared to try wakeboarding and just hang out on the river and or lake.

Thanks again

Never owned a boat before??? I don't know if I would start with a 40k inboard boat. Every new boat owner makes "mistakes" with there boats. I would just buy a used floater with a motor, that you could resale for what you payed for it. That being said, I love my 2006 LSV. I have three teenage sons and the boat is plenty big. Don't skimp on the options. Tower, wakeplate, perfect pass, and ballest are a must.

I agree that this is a pretty hefty first boat. Also handiling of an inboard tow boat is tough for experienced drivers. This boat does NOT back up to the port. Period. Handling the V is tough, handling the LSV is even harder. The average runnabout is 18' plus maybe a foot of outdrive or outboard. The "V" is 20' Plus swim platform, the LSV is over 24' long with platform !

I LOVE my LSV, but I've been boating for 35 years, and have all my USCG training courses and lisences, and still had to get used to driving this boat.

Both are amazing boats. If you feel like tossing another $5000 into the pot, get the LSV and go nuts. I think the smaller boat will be more managable, and yet still HUGE comparred to most 18' runabouts for interior usable space!

Go sit in each, take some kids to feel how it will be with passengers, get a test drive of them if possible, the $ is yours to spend.

Read threads here on "deals" - moomba is probably the simplest boat to buy once you decide on all the things you want - get the factory incentives (3 year bumber to bumper is manditory if offered), then work the deal for another $500- 1000 off or so and drive home with the best deal in watersports tow boats... period.

-Joe

By all means get a Moomba. However, as in the above posts, my starter craft was a 10 yr old Bayliner 19 footer. I got it for a number of reasons
    A) to see if I'd even like owning a boat
    B) not a lot of money to get started
    C) what care or upkeep was needed in owning one
    D) to gain experience operating one
    I'm sure there were several more reasons besides those i just listed, but I think you get the idea. I will tell you I learned a whole lot of "what not to do's" on the Bayliner that would've killed me using as a learning experience on my Outback.
    Hope this helps, good luck with your purchase.
    B