Thread: Craz vs Max

Default Craz vs Max

Hey guys, Im new to boating and new to this forum, thanks for the add. Im looking for advise and recommendations on the best all around intro boat for the $. We have been looking at boats for a few months now and thought we had it narrowed down to the Max and the MC NXT22. We are a family of 6 (kids age from 12-4) and like the room the Max provides over the NXT. I have an opportunity to get into a new 2019 Craz for more than $10K less than my local dealers best price on a 2020 Max and that has caught my attention. Obviously I know the Craz is slightly smaller than the Max but what other thoughts do you have? My oldest kids have taken a hand full of wakesurf lessons and really enjoy it. They also love to tube, eventually I would like for them to learn to wake board and even ski. My local dealer claims that Moomba is eventually going to phase out the Craz in favor of the Max but not sure how much truth there is behind that. Thank you for your time and expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinAZ View Post
    Hey guys, Im new to boating and new to this forum, thanks for the add. Im looking for advise and recommendations on the best all around intro boat for the $. We have been looking at boats for a few months now and thought we had it narrowed down to the Max and the MC NXT22. We are a family of 6 (kids age from 12-4) and like the room the Max provides over the NXT. I have an opportunity to get into a new 2019 Craz for more than $10K less than my local dealers best price on a 2020 Max and that has caught my attention. Obviously I know the Craz is slightly smaller than the Max but what other thoughts do you have? My oldest kids have taken a hand full of wakesurf lessons and really enjoy it. They also love to tube, eventually I would like for them to learn to wake board and even ski. My local dealer claims that Moomba is eventually going to phase out the Craz in favor of the Max but not sure how much truth there is behind that. Thank you for your time and expertise.

With 10k you can buy lot of other stuff, go sit in them with all the kids, the wave/wake isn't going that big a difference, so it's going to come down to price and gut feeling. Can't go wrong with either.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Craz will feel higher quality, Max will feel bigger. If you want a good laugh, park the Craz next to the NXT22. The NXT22 feels as cheap as a Heyday inside. Almost nonexistent storage. I don't know why anyone would pay those prices for that boat.
    2019 Supra SL450

I considered both, and both are nice, but Im not really a fan of the traditional bow. The Max had a newer hull. The storage is unbelievable. I was able to put 1000lb sacs under the seats. 65 gal fuel tank vs 49 gal. For me, the only thing better about the Craz was the 7" screen, which really didnt matter to me. Whichever you buy, make sure it has the G6 pumps. You will regret buying a boat with G3s, especially if you end up upgrading sacs, which you eventually will.
    2019' Moomba Max

Personally, i would go with the bigger boat because that never disappoints. I bought a mondo this year and already want to upgrade to a bigger boat. That being said, what shoebox said is correct. I came to moomba from having a 06 X2 that was a really nice boat. The X2 i had was far better than any new NXT. The NXT is terrible. The inside is plane as it gets, the tower is as ugly as it gets and you pay a premium just to have the MC logo on the side. There is NOTHING mastercraft about the NXT and i would take a Moomba, MB, Axis, over one ANY day of the week.

This may sound harsh, but coming from an MC i really wanted another MC until i looked at the NXT and couldn't run fast enough out the door. I also considered the XT line up but there are things here that just don't fit well with me. The X line different story but to costly. the NXT was not impressive and it would have cost me another $5000 over my loaded Mondo for a sub par boat with less options. I still love some of the MC offerings but didn't want to spend that kind of money on a boat i get to use 3-4 months a year. That's where Moomba really worked for us. Not saying some of the MC quality isn't going to be there, but they are all good these days and the dealer you buy from should be a strong consideration for you probably as important as the brand on the boat. You just get more boat with the others and far better looking as well. The NXT screams CHEAP and deserves a sub $40k price tag.
    2019 Mondo

I sat in an NXT and the interior felt slightly better than a Yamaha jet boat. Like mentioned you're really making for the MC name with that boat. I know they redesigned it recently but still wouldn't take one over a Moomba. As far as the Craz and Max it really boils down to do you want a newer hull with a lot of freeboard in a hybrid bow shape or do you want a more traditional bow with less storage options and ballast space. The Max will take some additional ballast to get a nicer wave I think but for us we loved the large layout and tons of space in the Max. The interior of the Craz felt the same quality-wise just with a larger screen. Older Craz had dual round gauges but I will say I absolutely loved the offset dash as it really opens up visibility. At times I wished we had the larger screen simply so I wouldn't have to toggle back and forth or see more data at a glance easier but it's not a deal breaker with the smaller screen IMO. You can't go wrong with both but I certain alt would pick either over an NXT. Not saying that just because on a Moomba site as I went through the same thing and looked at all of the 'entry level' brands (if you can even call them that with today's prices lol). Always came back to the Moomba over Axis, MC and MB Sports.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinAZ View Post
    ...I have an opportunity to get into a new 2019 Craz for more than $10K less than my local dealers best price on a 2020 Max...
    decision made
    2018 Moomba Max - 400 Raptor - 6 pump ballast - auto wake 2 - flow 2 - gps zero off