Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2013 BoatMate Trailer braking and connection issues

Hey guys, On my Moomba trailer, I’m getting no message saying the trailer is connected to the truck. Like I do on my other trailers. However, the lights work fine but I seem to have no trailer brakes at all. I know the trailer is the hydraulic pressure braking model on the tongue, but I also notice a white wire coming out of the bottom of the braking solenoid on the trailer. That makes me think there is some electric to it as well. So the issue is, connecting to the truck and the brakes working. Any ideas?

2013 boatmate trailer dual axle for a 2013 mojo 2.5.

Thanks ahead!!

Hmmm. White wire is usually ground and the only wire coming from the brake solenoid should be blue which is used to deactivate the brakes in reverse. Are these surge brakes? Or are they electric over hydraulic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure how they are set up? Is there a way to determine that?

Surge brakes have a hydraulic actuator in the tongue that activates by the weight of the boat pushing forward on the hitch when the vehicle brakes. Electric over hydraulic has an electric box on top of the trailer and uses inputs from a trailer brake controller to apply brake pressure. Most boat trailers have surge brakes.

These are def the surge brakes. Thanks for the information! I do see now there is a blue wire and a white wire coming out of the solenoid.

I checked the fluid just now and it seems to be very low below the cylinder inside. So I’m going to add fluid to it later today and see what happens. May have to bleed them, not sure on how to do that.

More than likely you have a UFP 60 set up.

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/blog...g-instructions

So you have hydraulic surge brakes with a reverse lockout. Your our F150 doesn't register that we have a trailer plugged in. I always assumed it was because I wasn't plugging in a trailer that actually had electric trailer brakes that the truck could control.

Also, what truck do you have? I believe the newer fords sense the current draw of the lights hooked up to the trailer connector, but I think my 2013 is only looking for a completed brake circuit which I wouldn't have because I have surge brakes.
    Last edited by trayson; 09-26-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

With the trailer harness unplugged, try backing up a slight incline. Trailer brakes should apply. If they do, hydraulic portion is working. With the harness connected, you SHOULD NOT have voltage on the blue lockout wire with the vehicle in any gear, except R. Check with a meter. If there is voltage, then the lockout solenoid is on all the time.

Ahhh, good to know! I have a 2014 Ram 1500.