Default Assault 325 Oil Capacity vs dipstick level?

Hey Guys,
    I feel kinda of dumb for asking this....but I need some advice here. I have a 07 Outback V, with the Assault 325 motor and Im doing the oil changes myself. The manual says that that motor takes 5.5 Qts, with filter change or to dipstick level. I added 4.5 quarts and fired it up on the driveway and the dipstick reads off the dots (after it settled), with the oil pressure gauge showing about 70PSI (while running). It seems to get the PSI down and the dipstick within dot range Id should have only added 3.5 quarts, 2 quarts less than the manual? Which seems totally incorrect.
    Is this normal, how much oil are you guys adding? What is a "normal" oil PSI?

Sorry for the dumb question, this has my OCD spinning! I wish they just said add 5.5 and forgot about it....

Thanks!

when you sayd "dipstick reads off the dots" you mean above the dots or in other words too much oil correct? my manual says 5qts for my 325 Assault motor and i usually put about 4.5qts or so in. Was the oil hot before you drained it? It's possible you didn't get out all the old oil?
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Did you change the oil filter too or just drain the oil? The oil filter holds a significant amount of oil so if you didn't pull that off there was maybe 3/4 qt already in there to which you added 5.5 qt. Is the boat level on the driveway? If not, it could make the dipstick reading off. 70psi seems high.

I use a vacuum extractor to suck oil out the drain hose and 5 qts with a new filter puts mine full on the dipstick everytime. Was the boat level on a trailer?
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    when you sayd "dipstick reads off the dots" you mean above the dots or in other words too much oil correct? my manual says 5qts for my 325 Assault motor and i usually put about 4.5qts or so in. Was the oil hot before you drained it? It's possible you didn't get out all the old oil?

I just bought the boat, I ran it till it was warmed up and sucked out 3 quarts. Sorry I meant the dip sticks reads about a 3/4 of an inch above the dots.

Is 5 quarts the “average” of oil back in with a filter change? The boat is level on the driveway and I’m sure I got all the old oil out. I suck it and let it sit for a while and sucked her again.

What kind of PSI are you guys getting idle?

You are checking the oil level with the engine off, correct?

You got 3 qts out, what was the level prior to starting the change?

Typically, the oil should be checked with the boat floating, for the most accurate reading.

Yep the engine was off when I check it. I didn’t read the dipstick before I sucked out the old. I just set to change it as it was new to me and I like to log it etc.

4.5 - 5 quarts in mine. Assumes the motor was hot and all the oil was extracted via the tube from the oil pan - via an extraction pump.

That is also changing the oil filter. Not sure if I ever heard of someone not changing that when changing oil.

As MLA say noted, I also check the oil level in the water after the motor runs. When I put the new oil filter on the remote mount, I fill it with fresh oil. Thus my dipstick reading does not change much in the water.

Even if you do not get all the oil removed, that is the running level: between the dots. Most people run at the top of the dots to account for a motor burning a little oil.

Not above the dots. If you put too much in, take some out.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJHSupra; 09-23-2019 at 11:03 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400