Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Backing the trailer into the carport, it's TIGHT.

Does anyone else have to thread the needle when backing their boats into their home?

I made my double gate into a single big swingout. And I have to back across the edge of the driveway (I can't approach from the other side because of the dropoff at the property line, the cable junction box, and the neighbor's RV Trailer). I have to clear my gas meter that's beside my garage while not being at so much of an angle that I'd hit the fence post.

I typically clear the gas meter by an inch or two. Then as I maneuver the trailer around the meter, I have to make sure that the rear of the trailer and the board racks don't hit the back of the garage. To get the trailer closer to the fence side of the carport, I'll often have to pull the truck forward and swing it to the passenger side, then back up and use the space I just gained to swing the nose of the truck towards the drivers side. (I can never swing the nose of the truck past the property line because of that drop off between us.)

I usually clear things by a few inches on each side, but it's sure nice once it's all covered and we can plug it in, hang up the wet gear and be ready for the next day out!

Camera is on the middle of the tower below the tow point. you can see the trailer guide posts at the bottom of the video:

Yes, my carport was built way too tall. and yes, the other side of it's a cluttered mess right now. But you can see my cool board racks on the side. And yes, it's pretty typical that we'll ride until we're out of daylight and be backing the boat in when it's totally dark out.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I put my boat in the 3rd stall the first day we were able to. 9ft wide 8ft tall door and 28ft deep. now taking it out the next time was a chore. I think I had 2" maybe on each side.
    it now parks in the middle bay so I can use the big door to load/unload it into the garage

I guess I had visions of my old supra that was only a 96" beam/single axle trailer and how easy it fit into a 3rd stall. current boat needs a 10ft wide door for ease.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I put my boat in the 3rd stall the first day we were able to. 9ft wide 8ft tall door and 28ft deep. now taking it out the next time was a chore. I think I had 2" maybe on each side.
    it now parks in the middle bay so I can use the big door to load/unload it into the garage

I guess I had visions of my old supra that was only a 96" beam/single axle trailer and how easy it fit into a 3rd stall. current boat needs a 10ft wide door for ease.
    my 7 foot wide 3rd bay and 7 foot tall doors and 20' depth garage laugh at my boat. my 3rd bay has garage doors on both sides and is still 4" too short for the F150 supercrew 6.5 bed.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I have mine in the 3rd single stall too. Uprights on the trailer rub/roll both sides as they pass through the door. Folded tower clears the header by maybe an inch. Not one you want to "hurry up" and do, especially after a long day on the water and a few beers in.

Thought about swapping to the middle bay but that is access to the attic - PITA to move the boat every time and I don't want traffic up and over to get in there. Easier to push a motorcycle out of the way.

Old house was a royal pain and I do not miss it - parking in a side yard under a carport similar to Tray, threading the needle every time, avoiding the big power junction box in the sideyard, lower roof line gutters, gas meter, gate, neighbor's house and landscaping. Had to straighten a bent board rack more than once.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I have mine in the 3rd single stall too. Uprights on the trailer rub/roll both sides as they pass through the door. Folded tower clears the header by maybe an inch. Not one you want to "hurry up" and do, especially after a long day on the water and a few beers in.

Thought about swapping to the middle bay but that is access to the attic - PITA to move the boat every time and I don't want traffic up and over to get in there. Easier to push a motorcycle out of the way.

Old house was a royal pain and I do not miss it - parking in a side yard under a carport similar to Tray, threading the needle every time, avoiding the big power junction box in the sideyard, lower roof line gutters, gas meter, gate, neighbor's house and landscaping. Had to straighten a bent board rack more than once.
    I remember your old house!! I give you the trophy on that one. It was insane.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Looks super tight. How’d to get away with that structure with your hoa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    2019 Craz

With that much maneuvering, I recommend a powered dolly where the movements are more subtle. The gas meter would concern me.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't have an HOA! haha!

And my neighbor was cool with me building on the property line. I'm extra nice to that neighbor.

The cool thing is that because it's half behind my 3rd bay and there's not that much space between the two houses, you really can't even see the carport unless you're directly in front of my RV parking. So it's pretty out of sight/out of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    With that much maneuvering, I recommend a powered dolly where the movements are more subtle. The gas meter would concern me.
    It'd be a little more work (extra unhitch/re-hitch). And I really don't think with the incline of the gravel approach of my RV parking that a power dolly would have enough traction. I'd think it'd just be a rock chucker. Pulling the boat OUT of the carport is a lot easier and way less risk. I sure as hell would never trust a dolly to that task as stopping the boat going downhill on the RV parking wouldn't happen with a dolly.

Of course the gas meter is concerning. But practice, practice, practice! I've only ever gotten close enough ONCE to crack the plastic housing that covers the dials. That's why I put that black pvc pipe there. it gives me an extra bit of visual reference to know I'm pivoting around the meter. And as you can see from the fact that the wife (spotter) didn't have to say a word, I've gotten that part pretty dialed.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
    HOA..... 3 worst letters in the alphabet to have together....
    we live in one of the worst hoa's in the vegas valley. they patrol every morning for violations and last year raised almost 9k in a 400 home subdivision in fines.

flip side tho.. not a single car in the street at night, no rv's/boats allowed on property and yards are all pretty well maintained.....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I was just nominated and accepted being HOA president. LOL. You think you're gonna fine me - really? My RV sits on a pad beside the garage and has spent the night in the driveway a few times.

Only 11 on our street though and the old retired farts around me love me - we do try to keep it to a dull roar though. I'm considering amending the bylaws in my favor here soon.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...