Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by RideMoomba34 View Post
    Thanks everyone, tonight I am going to hook the hose up to the boat and turn it on and see if it does it in idle. Not sure if I should try to put it into gear, to see if I can replicate the sound to get a better idea where it is coming from. I did find this article which has a video of a very similar sounding grind, let me know what you guys think. Thank you for everything

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index....se-in-neutral/
    Which lead me to this post: Sorry I forgot to add it to my previous reply.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...utral?t=429382

So just for clarification, is it making the noise when the trans in gear or in neutral?

If it’s making the noise in neutral and stops when you put it in gear then I’d absolutely look at the ignition switch/starter electrical circuit and the starter itself.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    No that can’t be it since the pressure plate is always rotating with the engine regardless of if it’s in gear or neutral....
    Could be as its not loaded till its in gear, only free spools. Starter was my first guess but wont do that in gear, it would do it all the time and typically isn't as tinny sounding more of a growl.

The sound is dead on when my water pump was failing. I guess I've seen a thing or two.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    The sound is dead on when my water pump was failing. I guess I've seen a thing or two.
    Wouldn't think the sound would quit in neutral though being a water pump, guess it could seen stranger things happen. Need a more pin pointed video to see what its coming from I think

Quote Originally Posted by RideMoomba34 View Post
    Not sure if I should try to put it into gear, to see if I can replicate the sound to get a better idea where it is coming from.
    I have two concerns with putting it into gear while on the trailer but I would be OK doing this as long as you are careful and aware.
    1. The cutlass bearing will be dry/un-lubricated. You can engage the prop shaft for brief periods, just really try to limit this as much as possible.
    2. Spinning prop safety: Be extra careful especially if there are kids or pets around.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Well good news, I got the hose all hooked up, go to turn it on and boat would not longer turn over. I could not get it to putt, click or anything when I turned the key..Battery is at 88% charged.

Also, I had a bucket of water to keep bearing wet and lubricated if I was able to put it into gear. And like you said, it would of only been for a short period of time.

Also I did find this video which sounds very similar to the sound I am having. And in this thread there is this link, which then says its the ignition switch does not go back to 3/4 after its started so it almost acts like the ignition is still engaged. So I got some lubricant for the ignition switch but never put any in because it would not even turn over. I wanted to recreate the issue, and then lubricate to see if that fixes the issue. Here is the other link:

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...utral?t=429382
    Last edited by RideMoomba34; 09-17-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Go ahead and put a new ignition switch in it, and if it still won’t turn it probably needs a starter.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

I took out the starter today, taking it to Auto Zone to get it tested. I will let you know. Thanks for all of your help.

Was the starter the issue?
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD