Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grinding when coming into the dock.

So we were out all day, no issues. We came back to the dock and then this grinding started. Its a 2000 Moomba Outback. Transmission fluid is nice and red, does not smell burnt, and checked and saw no metal shavings in the fluid.. Anyone have any ideas? Best part of the video is my wife saying "Thats not good"

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fQvTVdAyoCEnDQ3g6

Let me know if the link does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by RideMoomba34 View Post
    So we were out all day, no issues. We came back to the dock and then this grinding started. Its a 2000 Moomba Outback. Transmission fluid is nice and red, does not smell burnt, and checked and saw no metal shavings in the fluid.. Anyone have any ideas? Best part of the video is my wife saying "Thats not good"

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fQvTVdAyoCEnDQ3g6

Let me know if the link does not work.
    Does it do this in both forward and reverse gear? Would the prop still turn when u put it in gear?
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

It did it on both. I was able to put the boat back on the trailer. I was also able to freely move the prop once loaded on the trailer.

Hard to tell 100% but it sounds real tinny. Just taking a wild guess but almost like flexplate/torque converter sounding. Almost as if the studs sheared off on the torque converter and are grinding on the flex plate.

Engine recirc water pump. Put your ear up to it and check. I was on a vacation when this started and we ran it to failure as the water temps were fine. The show was over when the pulley disintegrated and fell into the bilge.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Sounds to me like the starters engaging while the engine is running.
    jy

Quote Originally Posted by james yarosz View Post
    Sounds to me like the starters engaging while the engine is running.
    That is exactly what it sounds like to me as well, but I’m not sure how/why it would be engaging only when it goes into gear and not at idle. This leads me to think it’s something clutch/pressure plate related. Maybe a pressure plate spring broke and is lodged between the pressure plate and the bell housing? I’m not very familiar with boat transmission internals but assume there are some similarities to automotive (which I’m quite familiar with).
    2018 Murder Max

No that can’t be it since the pressure plate is always rotating with the engine regardless of if it’s in gear or neutral....
    2018 Murder Max

It really does sound like the starter engaging but as others stated it would do it all the time. I can’t imagine anything in the transmission would make that kind of a noise. Maybe the prop shaft is loose??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    That is exactly what it sounds like to me as well, but I’m not sure how/why it would be engaging only when it goes into gear and not at idle. This leads me to think it’s something clutch/pressure plate related. Maybe a pressure plate spring broke and is lodged between the pressure plate and the bell housing? I’m not very familiar with boat transmission internals but assume there are some similarities to automotive (which I’m quite familiar with).
    Thanks everyone, tonight I am going to hook the hose up to the boat and turn it on and see if it does it in idle. Not sure if I should try to put it into gear, to see if I can replicate the sound to get a better idea where it is coming from. I did find this article which has a video of a very similar sounding grind, let me know what you guys think. Thank you for everything

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index....se-in-neutral/