Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: water in oil

Water in the crankcase from cracked exhaust manifolds is certainly not the most direct path, but I would never say never. On the same side of the coin, if an engine ran hot enough, its toast. Thats the worst thing you can do to an engine. Cylinders get out of round, pistons scuff, heads and block warps, etc.

If you cracked an exhaust manifold, I am sure you could also crack a water jacket and or cracked a cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Yeah...that I can agree with! It’s nots the cracked manifolds that let the water in.

Hence why I said have the motor compression checked otherwise new manifold aren’t going to do jack shit to fix a cracked block!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I’m guessing every time you shut the engine off water could flow into the exhaust and get into the crankcase through the exhaust valve. That’s the only thing that makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinesurgeon View Post
    I’m guessing every time you shut the engine off water could flow into the exhaust and get into the crankcase through the exhaust valve. That’s the only thing that makes sense to me.

The piston rings would have to be completely fucked for that to happen.

2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    The piston rings would have to be completely fucked for that to happen.

Yeah your right. Must have overheated and cracked a head or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinesurgeon View Post

This^^^^^....when shut off water can flow thru exhaust valve into cylinder head. The water will then seep past the ring gaps into the crank case.

The question is where did the water in the bilge come from? What hose came off? I would not think a ballast hose would cause an overheat issue. Was the water warm in the bilge? Why did the automatic bilge pump not come on? When was the oil level last checked.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    This^^^^^....when shut off water can flow thru exhaust valve into cylinder head. The water will then seep past the ring gaps into the crank case.
    That would hydrolock the engine. Had it happen on a 92 Seaswirl several years ago.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post

The question is where did the water in the bilge come from? What hose came off? I would not think a ballast hose would cause an overheat issue. Was the water warm in the bilge? Why did the automatic bilge pump not come on? When was the oil level last checked.
    Water will sit in the cylinders for a LONG time. Next start up, you would be hydro-locked.

Docdrs brings up a good point of why did the automatic bilge not turn on. Better make sure that gets checked out.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190