Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2016 Craz 400 Coolant consumption

In 2017, my second summer with the boat, I got an overheat warning on my boat. I shut her down and took her to the dealer. Solution was it was low on coolant. Dealer added a gallon or so! and told me he let it run for an hour and never saw a leak. So the past 2 summers I keep a close eye on the coolant level. It “consumes” about 1 cup every 2 weeks or so. Is this normal? If it’s anything like my automobiles I never need to add coolant. What are others experiencing?

Quick addition to my thread. Owners manual says “ Check engine coolant “DAILY”! Failure to maintain the coolant at proper level can cause engine damage..... Does this imply Inmar knows these engines consume coolant??

You shouldn't be losing that much coolant, there has to be a leak somewhere. Do you have a heater? I think that's a common place to have a leak, and it would leak there even if you're not running the heater, the coolant is always circulating through it, at least that's my understanding.
    2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315

Quote Originally Posted by schwan View Post
    You shouldn't be losing that much coolant, there has to be a leak somewhere. Do you have a heater? I think that's a common place to have a leak, and it would leak there even if you're not running the heater, the coolant is always circulating through it, at least that's my understanding.
    Thanks for the suggestion! Looked at my heater box under seat on port side. 2 heater hoses enter the box and there was a puddle underneath. I’m going to tighten the clamps and see if that’s it. Unfortunately I already have the boat winterized so I can’t test it. Thanks again for the great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by DRHRSH View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion! Looked at my heater box under seat on port side. 2 heater hoses enter the box and there was a puddle underneath. I’m going to tighten the clamps and see if that’s it. Unfortunately I already have the boat winterized so I can’t test it. Thanks again for the great idea!

I had a small leak on the heater pump housing, really hard to spot until it got really big, check the hoses and the bottom on the pump too.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    I had a small leak on the heater pump housing, really hard to spot until it got really big, check the hoses and the bottom on the pump too.
    I will! What do you mean by “ the bottom on the pump”?

Thanks

I had the same problem. Leak at the heater. Tightened the hose camp and it has been good all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by DRHRSH View Post
    I will! What do you mean by “ the bottom on the pump”?

Thanks
    There's a small circulation pump, port side engine compartment near the back. Has 2 hoses on it to/from the heater.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    There's a small circulation pump, port side engine compartment near the back. Has 2 hoses on it to/from the heater.
    Got it! So I would think that pump only runs when the heater switch is on, circulating coolant to the heater box. Makes sense since I had a lot of heater users last weekend, which explains the coolant drop. Thanks for the help

Update on the coolant loss! I saw a puddle under the circulation pump for the heater, thanks to parrotthd for the tip. It’s mounted on the port side rear of the engine compartment. At first I thought it was the fittings and hose clamps which seemed loose. But after tightening and running the engine I saw a slow drip UNDER the pump. That’s where the impeller housing is so it looks like a pump failure. Dealer will warranty, BUT since it’s past 3 yrs. “parts only, no labor”. Well it’s a 15 minute job to replace so no big deal. As mentioned by Schwab the pump runs ALL the time, not just when the heater switch is turned on. I guess this is so you get instant heat. So this baby has been running for over 300 hrs. Just a caution to others to keep an eye on your coolant and if you are adding frequently....look here!