Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default More accurate Fuel Sender for Mobius?

Is a more accurate Fuel Sender available for the Mobius?

The gauge fluxuates by 1/4 tank the whole time we're riding, and the gauge is reading at least a 1/4 tank lower than it actually is at all times. So the gauge reads between 1/4 and 1/2 tank lower than it actually is at all times (except the first 15 minutes of riding when it reads Full).

I read where a lot of drivers just estimate based on how far off it is, but I imagine there should be a more accurate sender than this.

It's a float sensor so the fundamental problem is that the fuel is moving around due to the boat's roll and pitch; a more accurate sensor doesn't change that. Mine moves as much as a 1/4 when in an aggressive nose-up attitude/pitch like surfing. I think you just get used to it and only take an "accurate" reading when sitting flat, still and calm. Possible solutions would be to measure the tank in multiple locations or to measure roll/pitch and then calculate fuel volume but that is much more complicated than a single float sensor and a disclaimer that it's only accurate when the boat is level.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    It's a float sensor so the fundamental problem is that the fuel is moving around due to the boat's roll and pitch; a more accurate sensor doesn't change that. Mine moves as much as a 1/4 when in an aggressive nose-up attitude/pitch like surfing. I think you just get used to it and only take an "accurate" reading when sitting flat, still and calm. Possible solutions would be to measure the tank in multiple locations or to measure roll/pitch and then calculate fuel volume but that is much more complicated than a single float sensor and a disclaimer that it's only accurate when the boat is level.
    While I do agree you'll get fluctuation when the boat is level vs surfing, what I cannot accept is the fact that these boats read EMPTY when there is still 10 gallons in the tank (25% capacity).
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV

My LSV seems to register about 1/4-1/8 below what i actually have but i've just learned to deal with it. No biggie for me. My 2017 Tundra does the exact same thing. The gas warning light will come on and i will drive it until the computer says 0 miles till empty and i can only put in 30 gallons and it holds 38 gallons. Go figure.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Mine is both top heavy and bottom heavy. When it's full it doesn't bounce. 3/4 down to 1/4ish it tends to bounce. Then from 1/4 down it's pretty stable again. I think I have a 40 gal tank but I've never been daring enough to run it that low. I'm pretty sure the most I've ever put in is 32 gal.

And 38 gallons in a Tundra? Chit man, that's more than my long bed gas guzzling v-10 F350 used to hold...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post

And 38 gallons in a Tundra? Chit man, that's more than my long bed gas guzzling v-10 F350 used to hold...
    No doubt! Had an '07 Tundra that held like 24 gallons and would get 10 mpg towing. Couldn't pass a gas station. Major benefit of the F150s w 36gal tank option.
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV

yea they up'd it to 38 gal in either '16 or '17. It's still a gas guzzler though, i only get about 10 mpg towing so the big tank is great.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I agree it'd be nice to have more accuracy on the bottom end of the tank. I have one gas receipt where I put in 35.74 gallons of gas into the tank. that means I had just over 4 gallons!?!?! That's kinda scary. And I went through all that in one day. :-O
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I tend to run both my cars and boat a lot lower in fuel than i probably should. It drives my wife crazy when the fuel light comes on and i tell her there's no need for gas, i have plenty left A couple of years ago we were on Lake Powell for the entire day and i kept a close eye on the fuel gauge. I knew we were getting really low and we were a long way from the marina as it started getting dark. I really started to get worried as we were cruising back thinking we were going to run out. As we got within about 200 yards of the marina the boat sputtered a few times and died! Luckily my buddy who was following us back in towed us the rest of the way haha.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

And guess who got no nookie that night...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...