Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

Engine wouldn’t turn over this weekend so I hauled her back home and left alone until tonight, I have plans on taking to a mechanic but wanted to take a look at it & see if there was a simple/easy fix. Well, I took the locker dividers out and looked at the crank pulley, belts, etc all looked ok. Took engine covers off to look at the rockers & lifters, lots of grime in there but nothing catastrophic.
    Then I go under, and see the damn flexplate exposed on both sides of the engine.

I’m no certified mechanic and this is my first boat, so please forgive me if I seem naive... but is this normal? I feel that there should definitely be a cover for the flexplate, but nothing is down there...

2004 Mobius LSV
    Gravity III upgrade
    1100 rears, stock 400 center, 300 lbs lead in bow

Should definitely have a cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Mobius LSV
    2005 Mobius LS (sold)

Thanks for confirming BT, now just where to find one that's not just a dust guard...

Looks like I may have blown up my damper plate, look at the first pic where the teeth are touching the bell housing, and large gap in second pic. Race against the clock to get this done and get a few more passes in before I winterize.

I found the part number for the damper plate (link), but not the cover that I feel should be there.

If anybody knows part numbers for the cover for this, please let me know!

They don't need a cover. If there was one, a dust plat is all you'd find I expect.

So will a fully charged battery not crank the engine over at all? Pull the dipstick to see if it's hydro locked. (way too much oil,fuel, water).
    Hook a meter to the battery when you hit the key. See if it's just a bad starter or a bad battery that drops voltage when a load is put to it.

Pull the spark plugs, then crank the engine by hand with a cheater pipe on a ratchet or use a break over. Last boat I worked on fountained water from the heads with the plugs removed.
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV

I did a write up on replacing the damper plate on a 05 LS FYI if it’s helpful.

Flex/Damper Plate Replacement after engine ticking
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t

Should have vs need on the cover is debatable/up to you but if you’re in there already to do the flex plate and you can find one you might as well add it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Mobius LSV
    2005 Mobius LS (sold)