Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wetsounds XS 650 worth the upgrade over stock kicker?

I have a '18 mojo with stock kicker speakers (6) and amp. Wondering if there is a big difference in the xs 650's and what I have (big enough to justify $800). Would the standard amp I have be enough to push them? I do have the kicker sub as well. I'm assuming that I would prob need a separate amp for the sub if I upgraded cabin speakers? Thanks!
    '18 mojo

Are you sure you are talking about the XS-650? That model has long been retired and last I saw online, could be had through a clearing house for $150 p/pair. Thats been about 2 years now since I last saw some supposedly in stock anywhere.

Difference? ABSOLUTELY! The kicker has a .5" semi-dome tweeter compared to the xs-650's 1" full dome.

Do you "need" a new amp? No, but a speaker like the xs-650 will certainly handle more wattage, which can in turn, yield more volume.

Your 2018 should have a 5 chnl amp for the in-boats and woofer. Its perfectly content driving 6 in-boats and a woofer. So no separate amp needed for woofer as the system stands. However, if you chose to upgrade the amp wattage for the in-boats, it would not be logical to leave a 5 chnl amp, just for the woofer.

2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Are you sure you are talking about the XS-650? That model has long been retired and last I saw online, could be had through a clearing house for $150 p/pair. Thats been about 2 years now since I last saw some supposedly in stock anywhere.

Difference? ABSOLUTELY! The kicker has a .5" semi-dome tweeter compared to the xs-650's 1" full dome.

Do you "need" a new amp? No, but a speaker like the xs-650 will certainly handle more wattage, which can in turn, yield more volume.

Your 2018 should have a 5 chnl amp for the in-boats and woofer. Its perfectly content driving 6 in-boats and a woofer. So no separate amp needed for woofer as the system stands. However, if you chose to upgrade the amp wattage for the in-boats, it would not be logical to leave a 5 chnl amp, just for the woofer.
    Yeah there are a few for sale through Amazon and eBay. They are $270 /pair. Would have been nice to have caught those at $150. From the reviews I've read it dosent seem like the xs65i would be enough of a jump to mess with changing. Is this correct thinking?
    '18 mojo

I've bought a couple sets from https://creativeaudio.net/categories...furbished.html. They often have refurbs. I'm just not into the RGB back lit speakers and don't care to pay the extra $. All the high power 6.5s from WS come standard with them unfortunately.

Heck, I even picked up a pair of refurb REV10s for $999 shipped.
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV

I have thought about this same scenario also. I feel like the kicker amp has much more capacity than the speakers can handle. I only have the gain turned up to just over half way before it clips. So, am I thinking about this correctly....theoretically with the wet sound speaker, I could then the amp all the way up without it clipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by jcarter20 View Post
    I have thought about this same scenario also. I feel like the kicker amp has much more capacity than the speakers can handle. I only have the gain turned up to just over half way before it clips. So, am I thinking about this correctly....theoretically with the wet sound speaker, I could then the amp all the way up without it clipping?

There is a difference in a clipping signal and an over driven speaker, although they can both can sound the same out of the speaker.

Lets start with some specs. The Kicker 800.5 has the ability to deliver 50W rms (and 100W peak) to any given 4 ohm speaker, which the boat is outfitted with. The OEM speaker I believe has an RMS of 65 (195W peak). So under normal operating conditions, the amp cannot deliver a wattage thats able to over power the speaker.

A gain dial is not a volume dial. Its not linear either. 50% gain is not half amp power and 100% is not full amp power. THIS is how speakers get blown.

A clipped signal is easily seen on a scope. Basically its an erratic audio signal. Think of an engine hitting the rev limiter. Once it gets to the speaker, we hear it as poor audio quality. This can happen regardless of amp wattage and/or speaker rated RMS, as its a result of the upstream audio signal. A clipped signal can begin at the head unit and be sent down stream to the amp, or we can clip that signal at the amp level, due to incorrect tuning settings.

Excessive wattage to a speaker can force the speaker to work beyond its physical parameters. This too sounds like poor audio reproduction. A non-clipped signal can over drive a speaker if the amp output greatly exceeds the speakers capacity.

Ok. Makes sense. So what would make the WS speakers better over the Kicker unless you upgrade the amp also?

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by jcarter20 View Post
    Ok. Makes sense. So what would make the WS speakers better over the Kicker unless you upgrade the amp also?

my first post. Difference in tweeter yields improved sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC5Z View Post
    I've bought a couple sets from https://creativeaudio.net/categories...furbished.html. They often have refurbs. I'm just not into the RGB back lit speakers and don't care to pay the extra $. All the high power 6.5s from WS come standard with them unfortunately.

Heck, I even picked up a pair of refurb REV10s for $999 shipped.
    I've been looking at the refurb tower speakers. Our boat didn't come with tower speakers. My wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to upgrade the cabin speakers b4 getting the tower done. Under normal circumstances I'm not an audiophile but sitting in my boat after a beer or 2 I want it to sound like there is an Orchestra playing. What do the refurb tower speakers have done to them? Where do they get them? Any problems or differences (sound quality) between refurb and new?
    '18 mojo