Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Used boat discount question.

If I am looking at a used Supra that is listed for $100,000 by a dealer then what is my expectation that they want to move it? I'm in sales and make a decent living selling what I sell so I respect commission and profit needs. I'm new to this market so can we expect that the "list" price is inflated by about 10% knowing that we will settle at that 10%ish mark? I don't want to throw a low ball offer out there and piss someone off but after doing a bunch of number crunching I've come up with a number that is a lot different than what the dealer's used price initial offer is. Talking about pricing seems taboo too many but we have to remember that we live in a free market and price fixing with dealer protected territories is against the law (new boat sales kind of do this). Very few dealers will deal out of market from my limited experience. Call me crazy but if I have several dealers wanting to sell me a boat that is virtually the same boat then I should be able to take the best deal, free market USA! The local dealer would still benefit from the service aspect and in the long run when I'm ready to upgrade they most likely would be first in line if they are doing their job. I take a ton of deals that don't make me any frickin money for 3-5 years but when they finally land then I'm bringing in a few extra $k per year. Doesn't always happen, I get it, but bottom line is I'm not sure I love this tight little industry when all I want is a good deal that get's me what I want without breaking the bank. Again, my motivation with this post is to ask what is the negotiating factor that is expected for a 1-2 year old boat. Thanks for any insight on this. Also, I do understand that some people list their boat as private seller and are trying to cover their loan so that is different.
    Thanks - D

2020 Supra SL450

Make your offer and don’t worry about “the feels”. Dealers try and pull that shit but there is NOTHING stopping me from going elsewhere if they don’t want to deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

My priority has always been “content” over the “deal”.

If the boat is optioned and colored as you want it, I would not fight for every last dollar on the deal.

I would hate the sting of settling for a boat that I didn’t love but got a smoking deal on.

Never lose a deal on what you love over a few thousand $$.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

When you find the one that you want that has the colors and everything else you want buy it...if not it will always be the one that got away, especially when you settle for one that maybe is not the exact color you want or has smaller motor or whatever just so you can save $1500.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

to the op, seems to be 2 scenarios in your question..
    you are shopping for a 1-2 year old used boat. look around, find the one you like and buy it. nothing stopping you as stazi indicates. buying used from a non local dealer you will still get service work done. I would suggest stopping into the local dealer of whatever brand you buy and picking up a few toys from them and get to know the shop team. that's who will take care of you long term and they have sales goals/profit margins to make as well. could you get bumped by a customer that bought a boat from them? absolutely but if they are a stand up dealer that won't happen.

now you mention territories. some of the wakeboat builders have set up dealer territories. some dealers follow and some don't. I have seen both sides of this when shopping and from several different makes. everyone says just go buy it but I have been turned away by dealers and told to order/dealer trade from my local shop so it it is a reality. keep in mind that this territory, in most cases, only applies to new boats in the year of release. used, and after mid august when new become holdovers, don't apply.

and prosper has good advice. don't skimp on a few options or not wait for exactly what you want as you don't want an expensive pile of regret.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Thanks people, the more I read my post the more I sound like a whiny a$$ bitch. The difference of $2000 on a loan is not a huge difference. Next question if you are still paying attention, age old finance or not? Supra is a boat not many can pay cash for and I struggle with these long term loans. To each and their own I know and I hear things like money comes and goes but memories last a life time, you're dumb if you finance a BOAT for 10-15-20 years. On and on it goes. Money is still fairly cheap at around 4.5% to 5% so are most of you guys putting 10-20% down? Are you trading in equity in an old boat to get that same money down scenario? I think it is smart to put at least 10% down or trade equity of an existing boat for the same. What did you guys do on your first boat? Did anyone jump right into a higher end boat like a Supra new or newer? I generally make smart financial decisions and this definitely feels/qualifies as not smart but I really believe that wake boarding and wake surfing are something that fits my family very well. Like I told my best half, boating wife-boating life. She is all in. Just need to come to terms with a long term payment that we can do but don't love.
    Thanks - D

2020 Supra SL450

Is this your first boat? How old are your kids? We’ve been looking at a Supra Sl and Nautique G23 - also our first boat. But we have now decided that given it is our first boat we are now looking at a Moomba Max or Mojo to make sure the kids enjoy it and the wife and I like it before forking our $130K+.
    I don’t consider 4.5-5% cheap financing - that would be sub3% which I don’t think you can get on a boat financing today, otherwise I would rather just pay cash.

Quote Originally Posted by boykie View Post
    Is this your first boat? How old are your kids? We’ve been looking at a Supra Sl and Nautique G23 - also our first boat. But we have now decided that given it is our first boat we are now looking at a Moomba Max or Mojo to make sure the kids enjoy it and the wife and I like it before forking our $130K+.
    I don’t consider 4.5-5% cheap financing - that would be sub3% which I don’t think you can get on a boat financing today, otherwise I would rather just pay cash.
    If you can afford a Supra, get the Supra.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I'm with larry on this one.
    new supra would be on my shopping list if it was in our budget.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by boykie View Post
    Yes, first boat. 8, 11 and 13. In the same position and have looked at the Max and the Mojo as well. Like the Mojo a bit more than the Max.
    Thanks - D

2020 Supra SL450