Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Helix

Default New Helix

Im looking for a new boat for cruising and water sports:surfing, wakeboarding, tubing..what is the approx top speed. I want a general all around boat and the Helix seems to be a good price...thanks Jay

Surfing and top speed are two different ends of the performance spectrum. If you want a wakeboard boat to surf properly , it’s not goi g to be a speed boat that does 50mph. Surf boats have lower pitched props so this affect top speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I have a couple props based on altitude... my top speed varies between location, but approx 36mph at high elevation (it’s a 2079 prop so heavy weight at 8k feet), pushing 40mph at low elevation.

How fast do you need to go? My family doesn’t really like cruising at speeds much over 30, particularly if the water is rough. (We often cruise between 22-27

I have been on very fast boats and I learned one thing in general.......the only one that enjoys a fast boat is the one driving it.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

^^^Yup so true. My last boat would do near 50 mph but nobody liked bouncing around at those speeds except for me driving (and my speed demon daughter lol). Nowadays we cruise around 25 mph or so. Happy wife is a happy life lol.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

My bad my main question is it generally a good all around boat for water sports and just cruising and hanging out. Speed was just curious as ive seen tests but nothing about its top speed. My wife enjoys comfort and just hanging out, I want the kids early 20s to be able to enjoy recreation...thanks Jay

wakeboat tests are done more on ballast, surfing and wakeboard capabilities. no one that buys these are really concerned about getting up to 50mph. most will be in the 38-43mph range depending on prop but crusing in the 25-30mph range is where it's at.

the helix will do it all. first question I would ask is size of crew and any lake restrictions. having started out in a 20ft, then 22 and now 23.9, I found that 22ft was the right size. large enough to accommodate a larger crew when needed but not too large when it's just a couple. surf wake will be better in a 22ft rig than a 20. not that the 20ft'ers won't surf but a 22ft boat will be a little better wave.

unless you are sold on a 20ft or up against some lake restrictions my .02 would be to scout for a slightly larger hull like the craz, kayien or max.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Thanks Sandm...crew will be average 6 to 7...im not opposed to bigger but idk if i can handle the price...lol

You definitely want a Craz or a Kaiser, then.

2017 Moomba Craz