View Poll Results: Do you use your Moomba in salt water?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

13 72.22%
  • Yes

5 27.78%

Thread: Salt water?

Default Salt water?

Hi, looks like I might be moving from Charlotte NC with a beautiful fresh water lake to Pensacola, Fl. I have a 04 mobius LSV and love wakeboarding and hanging out on the boat. Can I use this boat in the bay area in pensacola Fl or is the salt water going to just completely destroy it? I guess I would have to get a fresh water cooling system for sure but what else is worth looking into or do I just have to give up my mobius and get some salty water type boat? Anybody with experience in this area? I know their is an anual wakeboarding competition in escambia bay in pensacola so some must do it.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Really, really NOT designed for it. Some obviously do it, but the engine, and running gear suffer deterioration much more quickly. These are really fresh-water toys. (IMHO)

-Joe

Any wakeboard boats that are made to handle it?

Any one know if any of the bay's around Pensacola are more brackish water or fresh water or any near by lakes?

I ride in brackish water a couple times a year – with someone else’s boat thank you.

Not only is it hard on the boat, the salt water is hard on your eyes & skin when you smack or even just the spray. A couple times a year is enough for me, I may even give it up. Ocean has lots of debris as well.

Look for a lake IMHO.

SD2

I am going onto year 4 running mine exclusively in salt, it takes a lot more maintenance than a fresh water boat. If you are not willing to put in the time to maintain it, it will deteriorate very quickly.

I’ve been running my XLV in salt water in Dubai that has pretty harsh salt water levels..
    I looked into the closed loop cooling system but decided against it as the tempters in Dubai are on the high side and I was told I would loose a little power.
    So, I have installed a Perko Flush Kit so I can flush her in the water and I do this religiously after every time I run the engine, I also pull her out every two weeks and flush the exhaust manifolds.
    I have also replaces nearly all the bolts on the engine with high Grade Stainless Steel which I would also say is a must, the standard factory bolts will corrode very quickly in a salt water environment.
    The only other suggestion is to spray the engine with WD 40 or paraffin after each use and that will put a protective layer on her.
    I would not be to scared by salt water, it just takes some extra work after each outing..

And greater attention to detail...............

Like Tobesdubai I have a flush kit and also closed cooling. I have zincs installed and pull my boat out every 10 days for a wash. I flush every time I am back at the dock and also hose down and wipe the inside of my boat to rinse and salt water. I spray my motor and metal comonents regularly with boe-sheild which prevents corrosion. The advantage of this over WD-40 is it leaves a wax like coating that lasts a long time. Also I regularly soak my carpet with a hose and vacuum up with a wet/dry vac to suck out any salt. Once a month I run Salt-A-Way through my manifolds. As I said above it is a lot more work than a non salt boat, but I have also seen same age fresh water boats in worst condition than my salt water driven boat.

Default do I need the Perko to flush it in the water?

hello again..I´d like to know if I need the Perko kit to flush it in the water,i have ordered the standard moomba flush kit and closed cooling system.Hope the standard flusk kit allows me to do it on water least for the summer months that the boat will be on it full time.