Hybrid View

Default Mojo/Makai good all around boat?

First time poster here!

I currently have a 2015 Sweetwater Godfrey Tritoon w/Yamaha 150hp. Bought it new when we bought a condo on a Smith Mountain Lake VA. We only get one slip with the condo.
    My kids are 10 and 8 and getting into water sports more and more. I love my tritoon but I’ve been thinking hard of trading it in for a wake boat. I love the price point of Moomba and I’ve been looking at Mojo or Makai. My wife doesn’t want to give up the roominess or smooth ride of the tritoon. Kids and I want the sleek wake boat!
    Question for the forum... does a mojo make a good all around “family boat”. I know it won’t be as smooth of a ride in chop like
    The tritoon but can it still be comfortable/enjoyable cruising the lake when we aren’t doing water sports and just cruising? We normally host friends and family so 8-12 people is our normal crew as well.

Is the Makai much smoother than the mojo since it’s bigger or is the ride difference ornegligible?
    I haven’t demo a ride yet but will soon btw. Just wanted to get some opinions! Thanks in advance!

Default Mojo/Makai good all around boat?

There is a wakesurf pontoon.

But with a crew of 12, I would opt for the Makai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 08-06-2019 at 09:10 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

We do 12-14 on our mojo regularly with at least half being elementary school kids and it works. If I were buying new right now I would go with a mojo or Makai or maybe even just go big with an SL or an SE. All that being said, we are very happy with our mojo and haven't been tempted to trade... Yet.
    2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315

12 people on our Makai would be no problem. Our boat is starting to throw a mean wave. At sea level the 400 with the new 1.76 tranny will be sweet. She's smooth and very nimble for having such a fat ass.
    2019 - Makai took delivery
    2018 Yamaha AR195 SOLD

If you are looking for the space, makai all the way. Tons of room, very open and space to store pretty much everything without having to pack stuff on the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 adults in a mojo is tight after everybody brings their coolers and gear. Doable but tight. The interior of the Makai is yuge! I would own a Makai if my garage was 6" longer.
    2016 Mojo

Thanks everyone! Now I just have to decide mojo or Makai!
    2016 Sweetwater Godfrey Tritoon 150Hp

Just stopped in at Prowake the other day and had my first look at the Makai.....That thing is ENOURMOUS!!!..... The Mojo is a big wakeboat to begin with but that Makai dwarfed it. It even made the Max sitting next to it look small! If size is what your after I would go Makai all the way and it also has a more modern looking hull. I think it is a fair amount more expensive than the Mojo though and you still get a heck of a boat at a great price point with the Mojo, plus the Mojo is still a very large boat with a ton of room.

2012 Mobius LSV (Sold)
    2020 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerrnemt View Post
    Just stopped in at Prowake the other day and had my first look at the Makai.....That thing is ENOURMOUS!!!..... The Mojo is a big wakeboat to begin with but that Makai dwarfed it. It even made the Max sitting next to it look small! If size is what your after I would go Makai all the way and it also has a more modern looking hull. I think it is a fair amount more expensive than the Mojo though and you still get a heck of a boat at a great price point with the Mojo, plus the Mojo is still a very large boat with a ton of room.

Thanks Tyler. Did they mention how the new Makai handles with only a 400hp engine at sea level? I’m interested in that 7k of savings but also don’t want a sluggish performance.
    2016 Sweetwater Godfrey Tritoon 150Hp

Hey Andrew - This is where we are at so far. I have a thousand pounds of lead that's all towards the back. Bags get filled 100%. Tabs are at 0/0/65 and surf at 11.3. We played around with more surf tab and some center plate as well as moving the speed up and down. This is where it seems to be the best. With just three of us it surfs great and only gets better as you add friends. When I was shopping for boats, it seemed like they all needed some extra weight. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    2019 Makai