Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dealer repaired boat under warranty BUT

We picked the boat up, took it to the lake and noticed a small vibration riding around. Then we filled the ballast bags up to surf and the vibration was terrible. We packed the boat up and took it back to the dealer. The dealer said it was the prop. Here's the rub:

It wasn't vibrating before we took it to the dealer but it was after we picked it up. We didn't hit anything because the vibration started right after we received back from dealer. The only thing I can think of is the tech might have hit something. They wanted $130 for diagnosis fee. What would you do?
    2015 Mojo Surf

Quote Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
    We picked the boat up, took it to the lake and noticed a small vibration riding around. Then we filled the ballast bags up to surf and the vibration was terrible. We packed the boat up and took it back to the dealer. The dealer said it was the prop. Here's the rub:

It wasn't vibrating before we took it to the dealer but it was after we picked it up. We didn't hit anything because the vibration started right after we received back from dealer. The only thing I can think of is the tech might have hit something. They wanted $130 for diagnosis fee. What would you do?
    Did you look at the prop? That would be the first thing.

What year boat for warranty work?

What work was being done at the dealer the first time?
    2018 Supra SL400

Yes, there are not chips in it but there is a little bend on one of the blades.

2015 Mojo but I had the extended warranty. Indmar covered the repairs (J Hose leak, Transmission Fluid change and new impeller).
    2015 Mojo Surf

Ugggh, the he said she said dealer situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

getting a prop fixed is like $60 to $130 depending on how bad it is. Why pay a diagnosis fee if you can just have it fixed? I mean, you said you can see a bend on a blade, so isn't that diagnosis enough?

As far as who pays, well, that's a factor of your relationship with the dealer...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Like Trayson and get the prop repaired. Them wanting to charge you indicates they are not to blame and the $130 spent will probably infuriate you.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I had a new vibration earlier in the season. Someone suggested to check the nut on the prop. I did and it seemed fine but I got in a quarter turn and no more vibration. Worth a shot.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    getting a prop fixed is like $60 to $130 depending on how bad it is. Why pay a diagnosis fee if you can just have it fixed? I mean, you said you can see a bend on a blade, so isn't that diagnosis enough?

As far as who pays, well, that's a factor of your relationship with the dealer...
    When it happened was right after we pulled it out of warranty repair from the dealer. I had no idea what was causing the vibration so I took it back to the dealer. That's when the dealer said it looks like your prop might be bent, we'll check it out. They called me a week later and said it's the prop, it will be $300-400 to repair prop and $150 to install. That's when I picked the boat up, I'll do it myself. That's when they said, oh yeah, that'll be $130 for diagnosis. This particular dealer is pretty bad in the service department. I think the tech's might be okay but the service people suck! They don't call you, they don't update you, they don't answer the phone. I have to drive there to talk to somebody. They are all nice, they are just incompetent. The Tige dealer in my area is very good, I've had a few small things done there and they were great. The Moomba dealer is awful.
    2015 Mojo Surf

Quote Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
    When it happened was right after we pulled it out of warranty repair from the dealer. I had no idea what was causing the vibration so I took it back to the dealer. That's when the dealer said it looks like your prop might be bent, we'll check it out. They called me a week later and said it's the prop, it will be $300-400 to repair prop and $150 to install. That's when I picked the boat up, I'll do it myself. That's when they said, oh yeah, that'll be $130 for diagnosis. This particular dealer is pretty bad in the service department. I think the tech's might be okay but the service people suck! They don't call you, they don't update you, they don't answer the phone. I have to drive there to talk to somebody. They are all nice, they are just incompetent. The Tige dealer in my area is very good, I've had a few small things done there and they were great. The Moomba dealer is awful.
    Price for repair I get... Mine was around 300 CDN to repair a minor bend - which was a very similar situation to yours. Brought dealer a brand new prop to install for me, they went to install it and then told me it had a minor bend. It was brand new in box from Wakemakers. $150 to install yours???!!! That's crazy, my dealer was at least originally installing for free. I had it repaired, and then installed it myself... I'm thinking they dropped mine when installing - or used a 2x4 to brace it when installing and bent it?? Install price is crazy man! It's a 3 minute job... Are you in Canada or US?
    Last edited by costanza; 08-06-2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: change
    ----------------------------------------
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5
    2013 Moomba LSV (Sold)
    2013 Moomba Outback V (Sold)
    2002 Mastercraft X-5

Well, that sucks, but you did take it to them to diagnose the problem. I had that experience too-- I dropped off my boat at a dealer, they sat on it for a week or two. when they finally got around to it, they spent a bunch of time to tell me they couldn't figure it out and they'd need to spend more diagnosis time on the water to continue. I said no and still had to pay for their time to "not figure it out". That stung and I will never do business with them again.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com