Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wet slipping for a weekend. Do I leave the battery on for the bilge pump?

At the end of August we have weekend trip to a condo rental on Lake Martin with a dedicated wet slip. Boat will be in the water Fri-Mon. There is not shore power to use so do I leave the battery turned on but everything off except bilge set to auto or is it ok to leave the battery off for just a weekend? I've noticed that during a day of use I will have maybe a cup or so of water in the bilge. It has never got high enough to kick in the bilge pump or anything but usually have a cup every time. I assume this is coming from the drip on the shaft? What do you guys who wet slip for a weekend do? Thanks in advance.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Not sure if all Moomba’s are wired this way, but my Max will still run bilge with battery switch turned off.
    2014 Moomba LSV
    2018 Moomba Max

Sweet! I didn't realize that.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Yes auto bilge will still work... I leave mine in a slip all summer and just shut it off at the end of the day no matter what.

you would NEVER want to have no power going to your bilge pump if you're in a slip!!! The bilge is the one thing that could save your boat should something go wrong. Have you ever seen pics of sunk boats tied to a boat slip? Don't ever take that chance. (although I don't think you can since they said your bilge is wired constant hot)
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Pretty easy to check. Just turn off the batteries and hit the bilge switch.

Unless you aren't close to your boat I suppose.
    ‘22 Makai
    '06 Gravity XLV -sold
    https://www.youtube.com/GreaseMonkeyTV

No if you turn off the battery, then hit the bilge it will not work. It’s an auto bilge default off position), so the best is to turn off the battery switch, then drop a bucket of water down the hatch and watch it work first hand. I test mine all the time and have a battery voltage meter to ensure I’m not low on power by chance.
    Last edited by jph3; 07-30-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jph3 View Post
    No if you turn off the battery, then hit the bilge it will not work. It’s an auto bilge default off position), so the best is to turn off the battery switch, then drop a bucket of water down the hatch and watch it work first hand. I test mine all the time and have a battery voltage meter to ensure I’m not low on power by chance.
    Bilge pumps have 2 hot lead. 1 for the switch, and the other direct to battery and float switch.
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

Quote Originally Posted by jph3 View Post
    You don't have to use a bucket of water to test the power and float switch. The bilge pump has a little knob that you turn to test it. The knob is attached to the float so it's the same as using water to lift it. Using water doesn't hurt though. I like to see water pump out before my first outing as I've had the tube get clogged in the fall such that the pump runs but doesn't actually move water.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC5Z View Post
    Pretty easy to check. Just turn off the batteries and hit the bilge switch.

Unless you aren't close to your boat I suppose.
    Boat isn't stored at the house. I'll verify next time I go check on the boat though.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold