Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Windshield Tint?

What's the consensus on tinting the windshield? I know it would help the looks but does it hurt drivability?

Once you go black you'll never go back.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

I reckon it hurts visibility at night but in the day time there is plenty of ambient light.

With the windshield being as curved as it is .... I'm not typically looking through it. I was looking at the Driver Seat Riser thread and thinking about going ahead and ordering it, for that reason.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Does the windshield have to come out because of the curve?

Most likely depends on the tinter. My tint was installed with the window left on the boat.

It could vary based on model as the key is having enough room between the dash and the windshield.

2016 Moomba Mojo

Typically depends on the tinter. I have taken glass off the boat to a tinter as well as had it done on the boat. All of them have agreed, having the glass off the boat makes it easier because they will typically remove the frame which allows them to go past the edge of the glass with film and then trim excess vs cut the pieces and end up shrinking to much and having a light gap to deal with around the edge, all while dealing with limited hand space because of the dash.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

There is the inherent risk of glass breaking when it comes off the boat. Break the curved glass and your tint job will more than triple in price.

As for pricing ... I've heard quotes anywhere from $250 to $600.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by JHutch View Post
    What's the consensus on tinting the windshield? I know it would help the looks but does it hurt drivability?
    Yes, it improves asthetics. I think it's too dark to look through most the time (because if it's daytime I'm wearing sunglasses). But it's manageable. Mine was tinted before I got the boat.

Pretty sure mine's not as dark as KG's.

And how dark it looks varies depending on the picture:

Because in this shot, it doesn't look dark at all.
    Last edited by trayson; 05-13-2016 at 12:41 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Re: Windshield Tint?

Mine had it when I bought it, it was the first thing removed, safety issue. I'm sure your insurance company would it as a reason to deny any claims. Not to mention you may need to have someone with limited experience driving, you don't want them running someone over or something..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Default Windshield Tint?

I had no complaints at 20%. I know darker would look even better but Oregon isn't exactly the sunshine state. Traysons appears to be 20%.
    -Jake