Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod Adapter

Well after dealing with a summers worth of static from the iPod FM modulator being cranked through the amps I have had it. So I ordered the Kenwood KCA-iP500 adapter hoping to solve all of the iPod problems I have been having. The first issue is the static and the second issue was alway unplugging the cigarette adapter to plug in a cam corder or digital camera and losing the iPod while this is going on.

Well after I ordered the kenwood adapter I stumbled across all of the negative reviews about how it disables the iPod controls and forces you to navigate some god awful interface using the radio. Well crap.....glad I had already ordered it. Anyway, I got in in and plugged it in to the radio and it charged and played clear as a bell, but sure enough the iPod was disabled so you could not use the iPod interface, but had to use the horrible radio interface. So like Ed and the rest of the guys, I naturally took the adapter apart to try and figure out how to bypass the interface. By removing one green wire, the iPod was released and I could once again use the iPod interface....hooooray!!! Only problem now is that the radio can no longer control the iPod....crap....oh well at least the cigarette lighter will be freed up and no more FM modulator. To me worth the 40 bucks...heck it was cheaper than the modulator and it functions exactly as the modulator did!!! No more static and I dont't have to use the mini plug jack, just the 30 pin connector......I am pleased.

15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Isn't that the Same as

Plus

but without the box, or the need to cut wires and $10 cheaper.

Oh, and I set mine up so that I can plug anything into the now glovebox mounted RCA jacks.

FM Modulators are "Mr. Microphone" technology - and that is the quality you get. "lame."

-Joe

So glad I went the cd/mp3 route. Hope you find what you're looking for.
    B

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTechie
    Isn't that the Same as

Plus

but without the box, or the need to cut wires and $10 cheaper.

Oh, and I set mine up so that I can plug anything into the now glovebox mounted RCA jacks.

FM Modulators are "Mr. Microphone" technology - and that is the quality you get. "lame."

-Joe

I thought about going that route, but you can not charge the iPod also, I had already ordered the stupid thing when I realized that it disabled the iPod interface so rather that admit defeat and return the thing, I took it upon myself to correct the issue. For the record, I did not "cut" any wires, I just pulled a pin out of the connector and taped it off. As many hours as we spend on the water the iPod would never make it. Especially if we went for 2 or more days. Our iPod may be getting older and the battery can not handle it and I did not want to plug in the mini plug and the 30 pin connector, too many wires. I will work on a mount in the next couple of days. I figured I would just post my findings on the KCA-iP500. The only issue I have noted so far is that the head unit displays E-60 instead of the song track or title, but I can not see the head unit in the glove box anyway.....

I wish i could "split" the cd changer input on the radio so I could add the RCA inputs as well. Maybe I will hack one of those next week!!
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Take a look at my install. The iPod is always charged while I have total control of it. I never liked the location of the head unit on the boat.

JesseC
    Are the cables for the KCA-ip500 long enough to run to the drivers side? I have been using my ipod in a TuneDock FM in the drivers side cig lighter plug. I like having it where I can access while driving... I would like to go to a more permanent/ better wired solution for my Ipod. I see many use the RCA to Ipod connector. Trying to make up my mind to do before summer comes. Ready to RIDE!

BW
    Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by 04OUTBACK
    JesseC
    Are the cables for the KCA-ip500 long enough to run to the drivers side? Mississippi
    I ran down stairs and measured the cables. The cable between the "box" and the CD Changer plug is 3 feet. The other cable between the "box" and the iPod is 8 feet. It will probably be too short to go that far. However, I have seen the cable extensions for the CD Changers. If your iPod has good batteries or you want to use two cables, you may want to go the route Nafplio did in his link. I plan on leaving the iPod on the passenger side. I did not want it on the drivers side and I am trying to minimize cables. Don't forget that the radio shows an error code while in use if you remove the wire to regain control on the ipod. If you use the radio interface like it is designed to do, I am pretty sure you would yank the thing out and throw it in the lake. The interface through the radio is absolutely horrible.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

JESSE
    Thanks for the data. After reading a bunch of reviews, I think I am going to go the route of Nafplio... I found a path to run the wires from passenger to drivers side today. I Would rather have it where I can see/control it at the helm.

Thanks for measuring and for the info. I am thinking for power, I'll put an additional cigarette lighter plug down below the dash to run power to. I looked at some Ipod 12v dc cables today and they don't see like they would be too easy to hard wire, although I may try and skip the cig lighter..

Thanks.
    BW

Default Kenwood KCA-iP500

Hi there Jesse. I was wondering if you could post a picture of the wire you disconnected in the interface box. I, like you, had already ordered the cord and then found out all the negative things about it. I was thinking of doing the same as you and disconnecting the green wire. Thanks.

I have not tested this with the boat running!! I would suggest that you pull the wire terminal and all out of the plug so that it could be put back if you encounter any issues (the green wire that is third from the end). So far all I have noticed is that the radio shows an error code while the Ipod is in use. If you make the modification and can run the boat, I would appreciate a reply with your findings. Good luck. Privat message me if you need any assistance and I will send you my phone number.

This is the image from above.

Here is a blown up view of the bottom left corner.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In