Default First oil change ques

I have 15 hours on my new boat. Dealer said first oil change is at 20-25 hours. We are going for a long weekend in a few weeks and wondering if i can change it now pre-maturely or just wait until i hit the suggested hours. Thoughts? I want to make sure i stick to proper break in.

I would imagine our long weekend will rack up hours and don't want to stop using the boat. Dealer is 3 hours away.
    2019 Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    I have 15 hours on my new boat. Dealer said first oil change is at 20-25 hours. We are going for a long weekend in a few weeks and wondering if i can change it now pre-maturely or just wait until i hit the suggested hours. Thoughts? I want to make sure i stick to proper break in.

I would imagine our long weekend will rack up hours and don't want to stop using the boat. Dealer is 3 hours away.
    Most guys do their own oil changes but the 20 hr break-in you may want the dealer to do, as they check prop shaft alignment among other things tied to initial break in beyond a traditional oil change.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

I did the 20hour at dealer. They change engine oil as well as trans and v drive, plus check a ton of stuff.

It’s not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I did my first change around 12-15 hours and had the boat to the dealer for the rest of the services/checks around 15-20 hours. I'd definitely have them look at it before 20 hours, I feel like the continuity of the warranty could be affected if something happens that they would've caught upon break-in inspection.

Oil changes are super easy, just changed ours for the second time at ~42 hours. Run it on the trailer for 15-20 min, and I pull the drain hose through the stern plug hole and vac it out with a oil vac like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Once the oil's hot and you use the vac to get it started, it drains super fast.
    Last edited by Matt0520; 07-19-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    --
    2019 Craz

The raptor manual says the first service should be between 10-20 hours, so taking it on at 15 is not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

The first one really should be done at the dealer to make sure there’s nothing going on with the boat. If you skip this and then a couple hours down the road you have serious engine problems the dealer might tell you to go pound sand.

2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    The first one really should be done at the dealer to make sure there’s nothing going on with the boat. If you skip this and then a couple hours down the road you have serious engine problems the dealer might tell you to go pound sand.

Agree for sure.

For some reason, dealer wanted like $250 for my oil change (my cost = $38 or so). So that's why I did it myself. But the trans/vdrive fluid change and all inspection stuff was like $130. Definitely worth having them do it.
    --
    2019 Craz

The first one is all I ever had them do. My dealer said that it was OK for anyone else to PROPERLY maintain it after the first dealer oil change and inspection at 20hrs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Same. My dealer said they insist on doing the first service to go over the boat from to back and they don't like to deal with warranty if someone does their first break-in service. Part of my deal with my boat and dealer was throwing in 2 years worth of free maintenance, so I'm going to use that up first and then do the servicing myself.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold